Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Right!! I'm in love with my boys!! Buy i have a flock of 4....3males....idk what to do! Lol and my kid is so attached! My poor female! Lol i guess she will be the one to choose him! Lol

Roosters always become your favorite before you know they are roos, who can reject their brave and friendly personalities? Some of my cockerels crowed when they were YOUNGER than 7 weeks old... you get them out of the house real soon when that happens lol. They sound like kazoos at first.

that is true lol. He tried earlier and got scared. We kept trying to figure out what to do, as we didn't want roos, but decided how wonderful he is to keep him.

So far Mercury (he/she) has been the quietest bird i have owned! I hope it keeps up! Lol its been a boy year for sure!! I said i wanted one....now i have 3! ;-)

I always end up with more boys then girls. I ended up with about 1/3 girls and 2/3 boys this year. I need to thin out the flock.

We knew ours were boys fairly soon. These ones have huge combs and wattles and were very red. Our little welsummer roo started crowing at 3 weeks from his brooder lol. I was amazed. The boys just tend to be sweeter. On occasion their is alway one trouble maker lol. :) I now laugh when people say hatching is 50/50 for hens and roos. I'd say more like 80/20 hahaha

We knew ours were boys fairly soon. These ones have huge combs and wattles and were very red. Our little welsummer roo started crowing at 3 weeks from his brooder lol. I was amazed. The boys just tend to be sweeter. On occasion their is alway one trouble maker lol.
smile.png
I now laugh when people say hatching is 50/50 for hens and roos. I'd say more like 80/20 hahaha

I usually end up with about half and half. I like getting enough roosters to choose they better tempered and better looking roos for breeding. My Ameraucanas came out with 6m 5f. However my bcm came out with 2f 4m
rant.gif

We knew ours were boys fairly soon. These ones have huge combs and wattles and were very red. Our little welsummer roo started crowing at 3 weeks from his brooder lol. I was amazed. The boys just tend to be sweeter. On occasion their is alway one trouble maker lol.
smile.png
I now laugh when people say hatching is 50/50 for hens and roos. I'd say more like 80/20 hahaha

Yes, I figures 2/3 boys and 1/3 girls for me was pretty good! I have had much higher percent boy to girl ratio!

We knew ours were boys fairly soon. These ones have huge combs and wattles and were very red. Our little welsummer roo started crowing at 3 weeks from his brooder lol. I was amazed. The boys just tend to be sweeter. On occasion their is alway one trouble maker lol. :) I now laugh when people say hatching is 50/50 for hens and roos. I'd say more like 80/20 hahaha
lmbo:Dr
I knew the larger comb and wattles, but I kept hearing and reading for the deeper colors they may develop larger size of each, earlier. I'm very glad actually as he's protective. Only crows if someone is coming, warning the girls, he will crow until one of the kids (our chicken whisperer) comes and visits him.

Anyone got anymore marans photos? I'm gonna post some of my hens in a few minutes. Anyone interested in critiquing mine? I know they are dark... but I intend to cover them with a light roo. All should be on track after that,

I just got my first maran chicks a few months ago. Now that they are fully feathered I've noticed that they feel extremely soft. And feel almost velvety compared to the other chicken breeds. Has anyone else noticed this or know why their feathers are so soft? Sorry if this is a silly question, just curious.

Back
Top Bottom