Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Here are some photos from this morning. Now that its dry it looks more silver with yellow splotches? Again I know that this chick came from a black copper marans roo and a black copper marans hen. Nothing else has been in with them.

Years ago I had one like that. I got eggs from a guy that all he had was BCM and his were 3rd gen from France

Hello all!
It's been a bit since I've gotten on here, and saw the large recent topic off chicks. We are right now incubating chicks from our flock, and some from the Cottage Hill line.
We candled tonight, and are finding it hard to see any veins. Anyone else have this problem? We see obvious development, but no veins. Is it because the shells are so dark? We did however see the blood ring on 1 egg, and chick on others.

Pic 1- blood ring, dead chick was developing.
Pic 2- moving around, developing.

This Thread is moving fast .
where did you get the testing done that they could determine sex and relationship ?
that's really interesting ! I could really use that kind of info in my upcoming breeding program.
Thank you ,
Karen

Last edited:
Well I went for Orpingtons and came home with 2 Blue CMs and 1 Black CM (or so I thought...) this chick doesn't look like most of the chicks I've seen posted here (though I've only read through 20-30 pages).

Does this look like a correct chick to you guys? Would you mind giving me your opinions on the blue chicks as well?

Last edited:
Well I went for Orpingtons and came home with 2 Blue CMs and 1 Black CM (or so I thought...) this chick doesn't look like most of the chicks I've seen posted here (though I've only read through 20-30 pages).

Does this look like a correct chick to you guys? Would you mind giving me your opinions on the blue chicks as well?

This is what my BCM looks like

I got FBCM chicks last year and there was one in the bunch that I named "Copper Top" because she looked just like the one you have pictured there. Turned out she was actually a Swedish Flower Hen! She was an "extra" chick, so it was fine, and she's become a wonderful laying hen with huge, pale cream colored eggs. Do you know if the place you purchased them from also had Swedish Flower Hens?

Last edited:
I got FBCM chicks last year and there was one in the bunch that I named "Copper Top" because she looked just like the one you have pictured there. Turned out she was actually a Swedish Flower Hen! She was an "extra" chick, so it was fine, and she's become a wonderful laying hen with huge, pale cream colored eggs. Do you know if the place you purchased them from also had Swedish Flower Hens?

The more I look at FBCM chicks, the more I am sure this is a cross I'd some kind. I saw the breeder pen it came from though. It was very secure (so no frisky neighbors). I'm not sure how it would have been crossed with anything. I even texted the breeder to confirm it was a FBCM. I guess only time will tell. Here is a better image showing its true color, still not what it's supposed to be.

They don't look like French Black Copper Marans, usually they're all black w/ some yellow at that age, the copper doesn't show up until 8-10 wks or later. This are my FBCMs @4 wks old.

Back
Top Bottom