Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Your chick is gorgeous. The less white the better, darker chicks usually turn out with more correct feathering than chicks with more white on their hatch down.
Ok I wasn't sure if darker was good. That picture is about a week or so old "she" has feathered out more.
fl.gif
crossing my fingers that she is a pullet
fl.gif

Keith,

She confirmed that it was from the FBCM pen and was indeed a FBCM. I am now very curious to see how it colors out as well. I was in the breeder barn myself and I really don't see how it could be an oops breeding because everything is very secure, but who knows!

Thanks!

Morgan

It'll be interesting to see how this chick colors up. Make sure to tag her proper so you can track her color as she grows out. My guess is she will be very mossy as an adult but I suppose there is a chance she could have the proper color for a BCM pullet. Please post pics as she grows - I'm very interested to what she will become.

Take Care,
Keith

I'm curious of color in be FBCM too. My chick does not have much white on it at all. This is from about a week or so ago.

Any ideas why mine is mostly black. She said the breeding was Little Pedler which I think is supposed to be decent breeding right so it should have a better chance at being correct. Thanks all

The LP BCM Line tends to produce chicks with a darker hatch down. She's very pretty! Make sure you tag her proper so you can track her development as she grows out. Please post pics throughout her development so we can see how she colors up.

The LP Line is direct from France with no introduction of US bloodlines. However, unless you got your chicks directly from LP then you only have the current breeders word that no other BCM Lines have been crossed in.

Good Luck,
Keith

Last edited:
This is Belle she is 2 weeks old.
Do you think her looking bald is from stress? I had my baby ducks in with them and they started picking on my baby chickens. Noticed the babies look bald.

The LP BCM Line tends to produce chicks with a darker hatch down. She's very pretty! Make sure you tag her proper so you can track her development as she grows out. Please post pics throughout her development so we can see how she colors up.

The LP Line is direct from France with no introduction of US bloodlines. However, unless you got your chicks directly from LP then you only have the current breeders word that no other BCM Lines have been crossed in.

Good Luck,
Keith
Thank you! She is my only FBCM so no need to tag. I really like her, Im hoping she is indeed a "she". I will be happy to post pictures. I'll post a more recent one later when I get home.

True, I think Ill ask the breeder if she kept the line pure or not. She's local here about an hour away from my home.

So far I am loving the breed and I think they are gorgeous. And love the egg color!

Has anyone noticed any correlation with how much white is on a day old to how they colour up as adults. I've got some that are real penguin looking and some that have more white and coming into the face as well.

It'll be interesting to see how this chick colors up. Make sure to tag her proper so you can track her color as she grows out. My guess is she will be very mossy as an adult but I suppose there is a chance she could have the proper color for a BCM pullet. Please post pics as she grows - I'm very interested to what she will become.

Take Care,
Keith

Unfortunately the copper headed chick passed away yesterday. Earlier in the day it was bright and alert, I'm not sure what happened. :(

Morgan

Back
Top Bottom