Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I thought this was a pullet, but the comb and wattles have started to redden. It's 10 weeks now. What do you all think?

Pullet 2X

I think I see a tiny bump near one of the head feathers in front of comb in the closeup shot. Keep an eye on that so that it doesn't become a side sprig.

I got a hold of her for a close look and while her comb is a little folded there, there is currently no bump. Will still watch for it.
That's great news!

Sprigs often start out as a flat, round spot. On females, they can be tiny. They will often hide under a flopped comb, or, even resemble a tiny skin tag at first.

I need Help!
hmm.png

We picked up two (pullets) yesterday, that according to the owner's calendar, were 2 1/2 months old. We were told they were 3 months prior to getting, but none the less, when my husband brought them home I was very confused.
The (much) taller one appears fully feathered, yet still small in my opinion, and the short one is half it's size and not fully feathered. I looked closer & saw she had a lot of bald spots and scattered newbies coming in. (like a teenage boy prior to shaving)
idunno.gif
It looked much different from my other birds at that age.
Anyway, my two pullets look much different in two different ways. The short one appears to be a female, but the taller one has a distinguished comb and wattle.
Can anyone tell me if this size comparison is normal for a hen at 2-3 months and if the taller one looks to be a roo? This is our first time with the maran, so we are unfamiliar with this breed.

Back
Top Bottom