Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have 12 bcm X cuckoo maran eggs under my broody hen, what will they look like when they're older also can you Sex them when they're born as easy

our FBCMs are all fertile and on day 8. We do have one hen which is a little over a week old.

Quote:
What you have here is a perfect example of what I have been saying for years, Breed the Blue Copper and Black copper together and do not breed the BC colored chicks into your pure BC Marans as the color will come like these two adults. The female shows tainted color feathers and also the Male. It is ok to breed these in the Blue copper breedings. The chick and Egg peddlers will say you can breed good black coppers from these but the color gene is tainted . People will say anything to sell a chick or Eggs. Be very careful not to breed these back into your BC.

I am not breeding!
What you have here is a perfect example of what I have been saying for years, Breed the Blue Copper and Black copper together and do not breed the BC colored chicks into your pure BC Marans as the color will come like these two adults. The female shows tainted color feathers and also the Male. It is ok to breed these in the Blue copper breedings. The chick and Egg peddlers will say you can breed good black coppers from these but the color gene is tainted . People will say anything to sell a chick or Eggs. Be very careful not to breed these back into your BC.
I just have a little Backyard Flock! Not a serious breeder!!! Or breeder at all!
I just hatch a handful of chicks each year to keep my flock 'young' (I usually buy and set 6 eggs.)
This is the first time I actually hatched my own eggs because I kept the rooster!!!
The funky genetics here will not be released into the population
wink.png

Our eggs are for eating!

This is a dumb question I'm sure and it may have been covered before. I've been reading as much as I can, but I'm unsure on this one.
When people want to start keeping a breed they often buy a straight run. I've recently purchased a straight run from the best breeder I could find. My question is, you shouldn't breed brother to sister, right. I'm going to assume some of mine at least are brother and sister.
You shouldn't get a completely unrelated group from a different breeder because faults may come out, right?
If you want to hatch chicks and be mindful doing the right thing for the breed what do you do?
I don't want to sell for profit or show. I sometimes trade or even give chicks to friends. I'd just like to keep raise as a hobby while respecting the breed.

This is a dumb question I'm sure and it may have been covered before. I've been reading as much as I can, but I'm unsure on this one.
When people want to start keeping a breed they often buy a straight run. I've recently purchased a straight run from the best breeder I could find. My question is, you shouldn't breed brother to sister, right. I'm going to assume some of mine at least are brother and sister.
You shouldn't get a completely unrelated group from a different breeder because faults may come out, right?
If you want to hatch chicks and be mindful doing the right thing for the breed what do you do?
I don't want to sell for profit or show. I sometimes trade or even give chicks to friends. I'd just like to keep raise as a hobby while respecting the breed.

It is ok every once in a while, most breeders get startedwith a brother sister trio. After that, line breed. Father daughters, mothers son.

Just remember that when you use Brother-Sister matings , if you have a lot of faults they will multiply greatly. This is where it is much better to buy a trio to start with, single mate both females. Then you can breed the young several ways.

I was recently contacted by another high quality breeder I originally reached out to in the fall. She may have chicks for me. I should stick with the straight run I have for one generation, right? I should not get chicks from a second breeder and cross?
I was so excited to hear from the second breeder, but I have chicks already!

Back
Top Bottom