Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I can't really tell from the picture but will say it might be split tail.

He's the only one like that. It's actually kind of interesting looking, but it doesn't look right. It's like the feathers aren't barbed and holding their shape like they should. See how the uppermost feather looks more like hair than a tight feather? All of his tail feathers are like that

hi all!
I don't post on here much, I tend to be more of a lurker but I will say that I have learned a ton from reading what you all post and the pictures that you share! I've had Marsns for about 5 years but feel like I'm just starting to understand the breed but with that said I still have newbie questions! so here's one! lately I've been seeing a lot of people post on different groups about their BC's being crossed with Wheaten & hatching out wheaten chicks from BC stock, what would happen if you used the wheaten chicks that were hatched from BC stock in a wheaten program? or if you started a flock out of those wheaten chicks? I have no intention of doing this I'm just very curious as to what would happen? thank you!

hi all!
I don't post on here much, I tend to be more of a lurker but I will say that I have learned a ton from reading what you all post and the pictures that you share! I've had Marsns for about 5 years but feel like I'm just starting to understand the breed but with that said I still have newbie questions! so here's one! lately I've been seeing a lot of people post on different groups about their BC's being crossed with Wheaten & hatching out wheaten chicks from BC stock, what would happen if you used the wheaten chicks that were hatched from BC stock in a wheaten program? or if you started a flock out of those wheaten chicks? I have no intention of doing this I'm just very curious as to what would happen? thank you!
My first flock was badly mixed with wheaten. What you will end up with is undesirable attributes from both varieties causing DQs in whichever you are breeding for

what's the point of crossing wheaten & BC?
There really isn't one. What happens is one unscrupulous breeder lets them all run together, then an unsuspecting buyer (me) gets blinded by the dark eggs and buys chicks without researching the standard for the breed. Luckily I had people to teach me what was wrong, and I'm trying to start over and do it the right way. If I hadn't learned the difference, I would have bred them as the BCM I thought they were, then sold those chicks as BCM. I'm afraid that happens more than standard breeding, and that is the exact reason the breed is so hard to breed to standard. Every time those birds are reproduced and introduced to the market, the breed gets further and further diluted

Hello, I am not new to poultry, but am to seriously breeding for improvement and SOP. I have 30 years of doing this with ADGA Nubian goats so familiar with genetics. Boy howdy, and I thought hoofed stock genetics was interesting, the BCM are about to make my head explode!

OK, so I have what I think are 10 pullets and 3 cockerals from Meyer hatchery hatched the end of March. I had to start somewhere and even now trying to find good breeder with eggs for sale. One of my Buff Orpington hens is going broody. The Buffs are dh's favorite.

I live in east TN a mile west of I81 and I40 split. That's 35 miles east of Knoxville. I really want to find knowledgeable breeders within driving distance. I learned a long time ago breeding cattle and goats that nothing substitutes for hands on and visitingflock.

Questions.
1. Anyone within 4 hours of Knoxville have French Black Copper Marans eggs for sale that would get a newbie off to a good start?
2. About bird ID. As birds get older i plan to use leg bands and wing clips, but they are not tamperproof. Anyone ever try to tattoo bare skin on underside of wing? With goats we do ear (short eared laMancha do bare skin on underside of tail) with unique ADGA issued farm tattoo in right ear and year birth order in left ear. Those unique tattoos are on registration papers.
It looks like on older birds a rabbit tattooer would be small enough. Tattoo is read with flashlight applied similar to candling an egg. Currently i am using color coded zip ties to I'd chicks. In future also will toe punch hatchling. I like having several forms of I'd so if one gets lost, others as backup.
Thank you all and stay safe if in the path of this wild stormy weather. Now back to reading all the thousands of past posts on this thread. Have a blessed day.
Donna Raybon
Dandridge, TN

Hello, I am not new to poultry, but am to seriously breeding for improvement and SOP. I have 30 years of doing this with ADGA Nubian goats so familiar with genetics. Boy howdy, and I thought hoofed stock genetics was interesting, the BCM are about to make my head explode!

OK, so I have what I think are 10 pullets and 3 cockerals from Meyer hatchery hatched the end of March. I had to start somewhere and even now trying to find good breeder with eggs for sale. One of my Buff Orpington hens is going broody. The Buffs are dh's favorite.

I live in east TN a mile west of I81 and I40 split. That's 35 miles east of Knoxville. I really want to find knowledgeable breeders within driving distance. I learned a long time ago breeding cattle and goats that nothing substitutes for hands on and visitingflock.

Questions.
1. Anyone within 4 hours of Knoxville have French Black Copper Marans eggs for sale that would get a newbie off to a good start?
2. About bird ID. As birds get older i plan to use leg bands and wing clips, but they are not tamperproof. Anyone ever try to tattoo bare skin on underside of wing? With goats we do ear (short eared laMancha do bare skin on underside of tail) with unique ADGA issued farm tattoo in right ear and year birth order in left ear. Those unique tattoos are on registration papers.
It looks like on older birds a rabbit tattooer would be small enough. Tattoo is read with flashlight applied similar to candling an egg. Currently i am using color coded zip ties to I'd chicks. In future also will toe punch hatchling. I like having several forms of I'd so if one gets lost, others as backup.
Thank you all and stay safe if in the path of this wild stormy weather. Now back to reading all the thousands of past posts on this thread. Have a blessed day.
Donna Raybon
Dandridge, TN
Isn't DMRippy near there? That's her username on BYC, and she is a very knowledgable breeder from TN

Soup pot chickens these ain't... except for my culls. I am talking about breeding program to improve and fix a genetic line so that consistancy of breed character and production are not lost lost. In order to keep track of what you are doing an individual needs a unique ID so paper record can be compiled about ancestry, temperament, production,tc. With hoofed stock we ear tagged, used plastic neck chain with number and tattooed. I have had to replace lots of tags and neckchains, but so far nobody's lost an entire ear so tattoo still readable. Looking at chicken's wing made me wonder if tattoo outfit rabbit breeders use would be small enough to work. I have six goat kids to disbudd and tattoo tomorrow so might do some experimentation.

My table egg birds I just keep up with by using leg bands. I am not keeping any record on them except to make a note of injury or illness.
Hope all are safe through this wild and stormy weather. So far all we have had has been clouds and breezy.
Donna
Dandridge, TN

@Snowbird, I finally managed to get out there and get some pictures. They're not great shots but they would NOT stand still lol.

Back
Top Bottom