Black Copper Marans discussion thread

A comment on crossing the Wheaten and BC Marans. We did this three years ago as a test to show what would happen. If you breed the BC Male to a Wheaten female you will get BC Marans colored chicks.

I have hatched and grown out over 4000 BC Marans chicks and have never had a Wheaten chick from these. Where some people can't tell the difference in the BC-Wheaten Males if where all the confusion comes from.

I like the male in second pictures. I believe some of the other chicks will feather up more yet. The type on these all looks real nice from what I can see in the picture. These dark female work great for breeders if you use the right male over them. This is another example of why we should double mate the BC Marans.Are these your strain or from someone else.

This male will most likely be Mahogany colored, and I still like to breed them with the right colored female to raise some nice males from.

I would also like to see a little width and openness to the tail feathers. I basically like all the BC Marans I see in these pictures.

Thank you for your insights and opinions. I've very excited for this group and anxious to see how they turn out when full grown. All but 2 are from my own birds. These are a couple of the ones i used. I don't have a picture of the other hen though.

The other two (one of which is the good looking male) were from shipped eggs.

Is it normal for a Black Copper Marans pullet to be so....blue? She seems very blue grey with very very little copper. Is this normal before the first molt?

I like the male in second pictures. I believe some of the other chicks will feather up more yet. The type on these all looks real nice from what I can see in the picture. These dark female work great for breeders if you use the right male over them. This is another example of why we should double mate the BC Marans.Are these your strain or from someone else.

They are not mine. I just was wondering what you thought so I can learn! Thank you!

A comment on crossing the Wheaten and BC Marans. We did this three years ago as a test to show what would happen. If you breed the BC Male to a Wheaten female you will get BC Marans colored chicks.

I have hatched and grown out over 4000 BC Marans chicks and have never had a Wheaten chick from these. Where some people can't tell the difference in the BC-Wheaten Males if where all the confusion comes from.
thanks for the input!
so just to clarify are u saying that people get Wheaten & BC cocks mixed up because they look so similar? I've seen multiple discussions were people believe they are breeding true BC Marans yet they are having Wheaten chicks hatch?

The new people in Marans can not tell the difference in the males. The Wheaten has the Brown wing triangle.

my cockerel does not have brown wing triangle. here is a pic of my marans:

1 of the chick was born with a copper spot on her head which is wheaten now and tips of her wing feathers are wheaten as well. she is about 2,5 weeks old. the breeder had some females like this in his bcm pen:

is that bc/wheaten marans cross?

Back
Top Bottom