Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I am so disappointed :( I was so excited too. My best looking cockerel, this guy that everyone said looked great:

He has a carnation comb :( i got close to him today while he was relaxing with the pullets and got a good look at him. He is by far, the best in color, size, and type :( i do have a few other cockerels that are looking ok type wise but none as nice as him and almost all of them still look too dark. I see no color in any of their saddle feathers yet. I know that could still change but i kinda doubt it.

Well, you can only work with what you got. Ask some more experienced breeders how heritable this trait is? Are you breeding towards showing or just good layers?
If you can't a better prospect, then what you got will have to do. I keep more than one rooster as no neighbors close by. When I want to know parentage on eggs I pen pair and start collecting eggs for hatching after at least 14 days. You never know full good/bad of any hen/rooster until they go to lay and then first adult molt. Especially hens need to be looked at for quantity and quality of production.
Donna
Dandridge, Tennessee

Well, you can only work with what you got. Ask some more experienced breeders how heritable this trait is? Are you breeding towards showing or just good layers?
If you can't a better prospect, then what you got will have to do. I keep more than one rooster as no neighbors close by. When I want to know parentage on eggs I pen pair and start collecting eggs for hatching after at least 14 days. You never know full good/bad of any hen/rooster until they go to lay and then first adult molt. Especially hens need to be looked at for quantity and quality of production.
Donna
Dandridge, Tennessee

Donna
Dandridge, Tennessee
My advice is if he has the Sprig or Carnation comb do not use as a breeder as the young will only get worse. Easier to eliminate now than when you have chicks and they are culls.

The sprig can show up on any part of the comb. It usually takes a little longer for it to show up on the females, with the carnation you will see a cluster of points on the back end of the comb.

Back
Top Bottom