Black Copper Marans discussion thread

this is our pullet at just over 5 weeks. She isn't even close to what a FBCM is supposed to look like from what we've been told on here. Mary likes her a lot so we are keeping her for dark eggs. We have 11 two week olds in the brooder.

Last edited:
This is my BCM (probably roo) at 6 weeks old. He is now 7 weeks and I have yet to see any copper on him, is this concerning/abnormal?

Which is a worse evil? Coronation comb (that's what is called right?) or a comb with too many points? You all know that my really nice looking boy has the coronation comb but my second in line, who doesn't look bad either has too many points on his comb but no side sprigs at all. I have to go count again but it's something like 8. He has that dark mahogany color in his hackles and wider back end but is lacking in colored saddle feathers which I'm assuming may still come in. The only other option is a boy from my own flock. His hackles are not quite as dark colored as the others (not straw colored though), he has a narrow back end and lacks colored saddle feathers also. The only real issue I have with keeping him is that a lot of the pullets I'm keeping are his full sisters :/

Which is a worse evil? Coronation comb (that's what is called right?) or a comb with too many points? You all know that my really nice looking boy has the coronation comb but my second in line, who doesn't look bad either has too many points on his comb but no side sprigs at all. I have to go count again but it's something like 8. He has that dark mahogany color in his hackles and wider back end but is lacking in colored saddle feathers which I'm assuming may still come in. The only other option is a boy from my own flock. His hackles are not quite as dark colored as the others (not straw colored though), he has a narrow back end and lacks colored saddle feathers also. The only real issue I have with keeping him is that a lot of the pullets I'm keeping are his full sisters
hmm.png

Too many points on the comb can be worked on and is only points off when being Judged. The Coronation or Carnation is a serious DQ.

Back
Top Bottom