Black Copper Marans discussion thread

These are the 14 week olds. I am taking 4 cockerels to a swap tomorrow. That will leave me with 4 pullets and 1 cockerel from this group. I have 15 more about 8 weeks old.

Last edited:
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out if these marans I hatched are black copper marans and Wheaton marans.I suspect two are cuckoos.I got a dozen hatching eggs at a livestock auction and they just had marans on them..there two weeks old.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell if my marans above are rooster or pullet? 2 weeks old..also the black coppers have feathered legs does that mean there French black copper? Also one of my wheatens does to have feathered legs.the cuckoos do not have feathered legs.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell if my marans above are rooster or pullet? 2 weeks old..also the black coppers have feathered legs does that mean there French black copper? Also one of my wheatens does to have feathered legs.the cuckoos do not have feathered legs.

We would need pictures of their combs to be able to offer a guess. Usually, it's obvious by around 4 weeks old.

Marans should have feathered shanks. That is the American SOP. I don't know for certain if that applies to the cuckoo since I have no experience with them. The term french black copper is used because feathered shanks is also the standard in france but since America has the same standard, that difference doesn't need to be stated, though, there are still clean legged marans being bred here.

I hope that's a good enough explanation. There are many more experienced people here that might be able to give a better explanation than I can.

All Marans that are bred to the APA SOP must have feathered legs. Lot of hatchery bred Cuckoo Marans are cleaned leg and that is the English .

Well none of these are from a hatchery..I hatched them from hatching eggs I got from a breeder who had them at a livestock auction. All the black ones have feathered legs down and covering toe, one wheaten has feathered legs and down to feet and one other wheaten has legs feathered but not down toe..the cuckoos are clean legged..

I suspect this ones a rooster but not much comb.was biggest baby and still bigger than then the rest,doesn't have much tail or shoulder feather yet like most the others and larger legs n feat.
this one im not sure..
this one has tail feathers and shoulder feathers.
this one not sure
. This one not sure
Not sure this one
suspect this cuckoo is a Rooster
I suspect this one is a pullet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom