Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I just wanted to post a picture of this good looking BOY I hatched a few weeks ago.

I do have a question, however. I seem to have the slow feathering gene show up in some of my boys, and now that I have more stock to choose from I'm culling those that exhibit it. The thing is, I'm wondering at what age do you decide that the bare/fuzzy patches have lasted too long on a young male without feathering in? 8 weeks? 12?

TIA

Thank you
Depending on how the OE was bred, he or she should have a pea comb, and look smooth/bumpy. The Marans will have a single comb, and look serrated. But you can tell from the color too. A proper BCM will look like the one to the far left; penguin, with white flecks at the eyes and on the cheeks and a pure white belly. The one of the right does not have the white on the face and probably has more of a grey belly. That's the OE.
Thank you so much. The one on the left has a black comb is that typical for BCM?

I just wanted to post a picture of this good looking BOY I hatched a few weeks ago.

I do have a question, however. I seem to have the slow feathering gene show up in some of my boys, and now that I have more stock to choose from I'm culling those that exhibit it. The thing is, I'm wondering at what age do you decide that the bare/fuzzy patches have lasted too long on a young male without feathering in? 8 weeks? 12?

TIA
I can't answer your question but am wondering how you can tell that it's a boy? Trying to learn here as I am new to BCMs =)

I just wanted to post a picture of this good looking BOY I hatched a few weeks ago. I do have a question, however. I seem to have the slow feathering gene show up in some of my boys, and now that I have more stock to choose from I'm culling those that exhibit it. The thing is, I'm wondering at what age do you decide that the bare/fuzzy patches have lasted too long on a young male without feathering in? 8 weeks? 12? TIA
My Marans chicks are usually fully feathered out by 4 to 5 weeks. Keith

UPDATED PICTURES: BCMs 4 weeks old. I was unable to be patient and wait to see about the sex so I had DNA done, and both are PULLETS
wee.gif

CHICK #1

CHICK #2

BOTH TOGETHER. I'm amazed at the size difference! I thought for sure chick #2 was a roo!

UPDATED PICTURES: BCMs 4 weeks old. I was unable to be patient and wait to see about the sex so I had DNA done, and both are PULLETS
wee.gif

CHICK #1

CHICK #2

BOTH TOGETHER. I'm amazed at the size difference! I thought for sure chick #2 was a roo!

Ha! That's totally my level of impatience. How did you get the testing done?

i have done that twice with silkies..could not wait....i never had the nerve to do it when they were so young tho...so you barely had to nip the nail? they look so delicate and tiny! i did the nails but they were prob 8 weeks when i did it or at least 6....

Back
Top Bottom