Black Copper Marans x Blue Silkie

ChicksInKY

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2023
I recently hatched six tiny little chicks from eggs I bought. The dad is a BCM and the mom is a blue silkie. I am dying to see what these babies are going to look like all grown up.

Anyone want to share photos of the grown offspring of a BCM roo crossed with a silkie hen?
received_1272529696659120.jpeg
received_739478704277070.jpeg

She is adorable! I have so many questions! I hope that is okay. Is she as small as her mother? Is she a good layer? Are her eggs silkie or marans sized? Does she go broody? If so, is she a good mama?
She is not as big as my full Marans hens, but they are big girls. Goose is sort of in-between. Here she is with one of my Buff orps and Cinnamon Queens.
DSCN9830.JPG

She is young, will not be a year old until July. She was around 5 1/2 months old when she started laying. So far she is a good consistent layer averaging 5 eggs a week. She has already though just a few weeks in gave warnings she was attempting to go broody but never committed to setting. Her mother is a wonderful mother and currently raising 5 leghorns she adopted after refusing to be broken after 5 weeks of sitting on air. My Marans are very broody as well, so I figure it is only a matter of time before Goose is broody. Her eggs are small like a silkies. My silkie lays a white egg, Gooses egg is tan. Sometimes they are speckled and sometimes not.
Here is one of her first eggs.
DSCN9916.JPG

her mom's egg
DSCN0376.JPG

If Goose decides to go broody I will let her hatch and raise chicks. Actually I would prefer she was one of the hens who went broody this year. I have loyal egg customers and if I had to loose a laying hen to going broody I would want it to be her or her mother. I keep the smaller eggs for myself and sell the larger ones.

Goose is a exactly what I hope our babies will be like (because, of course, they are all girls. lol!) However, according to the genetics calculator ours will be either solid black or solid blue.

Thank you for the photos and for answering all my questions.

I hope I will remember to post some photos when our babies are grown.

I also have another Black Copper Marans x Silkie cross.
This is Twig.
DSCN0407.JPG

Twigs father is my Black silkie and his mother is one of my Black Copper Marans hens. I really like this cross, it has produced 2 beautiful birds in my opinion. Twig was a accident, I did not think my little silkie had managed to breed my bigger girls so it was a shock when this adorable little chick with the silkie double toe popped out of a Marans egg. Goose was also not planned, I had never saw my Marans Rooster paying any attention to my only silkie hen. When she went broody last year gave her 3 eggs. 2 hatched, 1 full silkie, and Goose. I knew at hatch again we had another oops on my hands as Goose does not have the silkie double toes and she had pink toes. Actually she hatched out looking identical to a full marans chick. Both Goose's parents and Twigs parents are unrelated. In the back of my mind I have been thinking of breeding the two of them together to see what they would produce.

Back
Top Bottom