Black Sex-Link Picture Thread!

My BSL doesn't have a comb. It's been like this since we got her and hasn't changed a bit. Has anyone ever seen a BSL without a single comb?

It happens sometimes, especially when it comes to the black breed chicks. They all look the same, so it's a pretty understandable mistake. The person filling the order might have accidentally pulled her from the wrong bin of solid black chicks.
If you got them from a feed store, it's even more likely that a chick was put in the wrong bin.

Hey all!

I'm specifically looking for any black sex link chicken photos you've got.

I'm trying to figure out my mystery chick's parentage. Jet was touted as an "Australian Black" by the seller to the tractor supply store in NH when I got her. She was a solid black chick, black polydactyl feet, and 100% adorable and tiny.

Now, she looks like a black sex link- red barring on her, and iridescent green/purple shimmer.

She's extraordinarily soft and appears to be half Silkie due to her black skin and black legs, which would mean her father should have been a black Silkie rooster.

Since she's got red on her, she seems to indicate that her mom would have had red as well.

Someone on CL had RIR x Barred Rock black sex links, 'black stars'. "Their black feathers are iridescent with green and purple shine". So does Jet. The ad also said that they have RIR coloring coming out on their chests; so does Jet.

I'm thinking some guy out in Australia made 249 other (as Jet came as the 250th in an order) sex links and wanted to pass them off as "Australian Blacks", which had never been heard of before, that they're just regular sex-links but softer due to Silkie blood in there somewhere. (Her underside and sides are all silkie-feathered, unlike my other breed hens.)

If I breed her in the future, would you guys recommend a black Silkie rooster (to make more sex link chicks), or what other breed? I'd love to see what her kids would look like and if it would tell what breed definitively 'makes' her. Would she even produce regular breed hens since she's a hybrid???

Anywho...

Let's see all your black sex links! /img/smilies/wee.gif

Let's start off with mine.

JETCOLLAGE.jpg

Meet Edith, Agnes, & Margo. My brooder was empty since my 7 welsummer chicks moved out to the pen w the big girls. These 3 just jumped in my cart at bomgaars yesterday when I went to buy feed. It's the craziest thing.

Back
Top Bottom