Bloody poop

My chicks have bloody excrement but I can't tell which one and it's dark red not bright color like your pics. I'm worried now
Cocci can cause pink, orange, or deep red blood in the poo, as well as no blood depending on the strain and the part of the intestines affected. I would get Corid (amprollium) right away and treat them all.

I found a baby chic dead just an hour ago. They are only a couple weeks old. So I went and checked on the rooster we have outside and he is ok. Then went back to clean up the mess of the littler ones and noticed this (see the picture). What is this type of problem? Sorry its gross for those with a light stomach. My poor daughter is in tears. This is the second Barred rock that died and she is such an animal person. She's in her room balling her eyes out. I feel like such a bad mom.
hit.gif

Coccidiosis is an intestinal disease caused by a protozoa in the soil. Get the Corid right away from your feed store. If you can't find Corid (amprollium or Ampromed) then look for Sulmet and follow the label directions. If you have buttermilk, you can make a slurry out of it and chick crumbles and try to get them to take it to coat their GI tract to slow down the infection. Here is some info about cocci: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited:
I found a baby chic dead just an hour ago. They are only a couple weeks old. So I went and checked on the rooster we have outside and he is ok. Then went back to clean up the mess of the littler ones and noticed this (see the picture). What is this type of problem? Sorry its gross for those with a light stomach. My poor daughter is in tears. This is the second Barred rock that died and she is such an animal person. She's in her room balling her eyes out. I feel like such a bad mom.
hit.gif

Get some Corid ASAP and treat for a severe outbreak per the instructions in post #14. Tractor Supply carrries Corid in the cattle section.

-Kathy

I will definitely get some after my school bus route. The feed store should be open by then. Will I catch it in time? I cant lose another one. My daughter will be crushed. The poor child has seen more death in the past 6 years. I want to show her life and happiness
I wish we had 24 hour feed stores

Last edited:
Make sure the waterers and feeders are free of poo, and put fresh shavings into the brooder or change the litter, since it is spread in the droppings. Get the liquid Corid if possible and give them 2 drops orally of the undiluted Corid to give them a jumpstart when you get it. If the powder is all they have, get it.

I just got the liquid. I have 5 chickens. 3 are about 4-5 weeks old the other 2 are about 7-8 weeks old. Do all get the same drops. They are not outside they are in the house in my shower area so nothing on the floor but tile, easy clean up. I wanted a clean area in the first place so I figured that was the best place. Its nice and warm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom