Blue Ameraucana thread!

Pics
So not to be dense, but I still can't quite see the difference in blue vs. lavender. This is one of my hens. Breeder says they have black, blue, and splash. I guess what is throwing me is all the other blues I see have darker greyish color or more defined lacing. How do you really know blue vs lavender? Is it subjective to most unless they do genetic testing? What mix makes lavender if you don't start with lavender? My assumption is that they are blue based on breeder, but curious to know what makes them blue vs lavender?

Thanks. (Here are some pics.)

2 of them at 9 weeks old in the lower right.

This week:

So not to be dense, but I still can't quite see the difference in blue vs. lavender. This is one of my hens. Breeder says they have black, blue, and splash. I guess what is throwing me is all the other blues I see have darker greyish color or more defined lacing. How do you really know blue vs lavender? Is it subjective to most unless they do genetic testing? What mix makes lavender if you don't start with lavender? My assumption is that they are blue based on breeder, but curious to know what makes them blue vs lavender? Thanks. (Here are some pics.) 2 of them at 9 weeks old in the lower right. This week:
The gene works differently, LAV is recessive. Others can elaborate that part. The main difference that you can see is lacing. Blues have lacing, LAVS or self-blues do not. There are dark blues and light blues, -great variation, but the lacing is what sets apart blue from LAV. I had a blue cockerel, the color of your bird in the photo when under 20 weeks that darkened up quite a bit by 1 yr.

Last edited:
So not to be dense, but I still can't quite see the difference in blue vs. lavender. This is one of my hens. Breeder says they have black, blue, and splash. I guess what is throwing me is all the other blues I see have darker greyish color or more defined lacing. How do you really know blue vs lavender? Is it subjective to most unless they do genetic testing? What mix makes lavender if you don't start with lavender? My assumption is that they are blue based on breeder, but curious to know what makes them blue vs lavender?
Blue and lavender are similar in color. Kind of gray actually, but that is all they have in common. The colors are created by entirely different genes and have nothing to do with each other. Just as dominant white and recessive white are similar in color they are also created by two entirely different genes.
Blue according to the APA is "laced" and probably should be called laced blue. The lacing is created by additional genes. Blue without lacing is call self blue, but buff without lacing is just called buff so their terminology is confusing.
Check out the Kip Chicken calculator (http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html) and note what Bl (blue) and Lav (laveneder) genes can do and how they are unrelated.

Thanks for the information! So would this roo be considered blue? He's not a dark black, but he's not as light as a lot of the blues I am seeing on here. He is from a blue/black/splash pen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information! So would this roo be considered blue? He's not a dark black, but he's not as light as a lot of the blues I am seeing on here. He is from a blue/black/splash pen.

Yes he is blue. I have bbs and there are light and dark shades. However, he has feathers on his feet and pure Ameraucanas do not. He is pretty though.

Yes he is blue. I have bbs and there are light and dark shades. However, he has feathers on his feet and pure Ameraucanas do not. He is pretty though.

Drat!!! I was sure he was one of my pure ones. (I hatched some that were supposed to be pure and some that were Ameraucana/Moran mix. He must be one of those. Dang dang dang. I like him but have to keep a different roo then so I can stay pure.

I just read about your rooster collar, and this is my first time owning chickens. I let my cockatoo of 20 years hatch chicken eggs, since she's been SO desperate to set and hatch eggs for so long & the chicken egg experiment has been a dream of mine for almost 2 decades in order to make her happy. Well, it would break my heart if this first egg she's hatched (a blue Amerucana) is a rooster, BUT if I had a collar or a way to keep it quiet if it turns out to be a roo, the nmaybe I can keep him! I would just love to keep my first-hatched!

If you have any links to DIY instructions or videos for a great and inexpensive design, I'd so appreciate it. I think I already have some velcro!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom