Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Will a BCM Rooster over a Splash Marans hen always Blue Marans chicks? This is how it works my Isbar chickens but I'm not sure if the copper will change the look (the Isbar black chickens have no copper).

Thanks,
Deborah

Will a BCM Rooster over a Splash Marans hen always Blue Marans chicks? This is how it works my Isbar chickens but I'm not sure if the copper will change the look (the Isbar black chickens have no copper).

Thanks,
Deborah
I should think so. I know from personal experience that a Splash Marans roo over BCM hens (black, not blue) gave me 100% blue.

Have fun!

Sorry about the bluriness of the one photo. I recently hatched some blue and splash coppers to mix into my black copper flock, and I was searching out pictures of standard colors on the boys. I have 3 blue copper cockerels, one has almost no copper, one has a little, and this one has the most. Is it too much? They are a little over 2 months old now. I only wound up with 1 splash pullet, so I'm keeping her to see how she grows out. I only want to keep one of the blue boys because I already have 2 nice Black copper roos...but I'd like to keep the best one. I'll try to get better pictures later today.

Attachments

• DSCF0343 (1).JPG
    DSCF0343 (1).JPG
    408 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0339 (1).JPG
    DSCF0339 (1).JPG
    416.6 KB · Views: 16
Here's the best pics I have of all three boys. The one with the most color is the largest, and has the best temperment, too.
DSCF0335 (2).JPG
DSCF0334 (2).JPG

This is my middle-of-the-road boy
DSCF0331 (2).JPG
DSCF0328 (2).JPG
DSCF0329 (2).JPG

And the darkest. He has very little copper at all.
DSCF0333 (2).JPG

And my splash pullet, Snow. She doesn't actually have brown on her...she's just muddy. :/
DSCF0344 (2).JPG
DSCF0347 (2).JPG
DSCF0345 (2).JPG

Sorry about the bluriness of the one photo. I recently hatched some blue and splash coppers to mix into my black copper flock, and I was searching out pictures of standard colors on the boys. I have 3 blue copper cockerels, one has almost no copper, one has a little, and this one has the most. Is it too much? They are a little over 2 months old now. I only wound up with 1 splash pullet, so I'm keeping her to see how she grows out. I only want to keep one of the blue boys because I already have 2 nice Black copper roos...but I'd like to keep the best one. I'll try to get better pictures later today.

he is a keeper for sure .
very rare to get a Blue copper cockerel with that type of rich copper .
love his red shoulder .
need a better photos of him

chooks man

Here's the best pics I have of all three boys. The one with the most color is the largest, and has the best temperment, too. View attachment 1090568 View attachment 1090569

This is my middle-of-the-road boyView attachment 1090571 View attachment 1090572 View attachment 1090573

And the darkest. He has very little copper at all. View attachment 1090574

And my splash pullet, Snow. She doesn't actually have brown on her...she's just muddy. :/ View attachment 1090575 View attachment 1090576 View attachment 1090577

100% is the best out of the 3 and is a keeper .
he has extra red on his chest too much ,but can be useful to add hackle color on the black hens ( black copper without copper neck ).

chooks man

100% is the best out of the 3 and is a keeper .
he has extra red on his chest too much ,but can be useful to add hackle color on the black hens ( black copper without copper neck ).

chooks man

Hmm...my hens all already have nice coppery hackles, but I will keep that in mind. I have some 6 wk old black pullets and I'm not sure how they will turn out yet. Thank you!

Hmm...my hens all already have nice coppery hackles, but I will keep that in mind. I have some 6 wk old black pullets and I'm not sure how they will turn out yet. Thank you!

he is a keeper and he is an asset to you in the future .
I always have one or 2 overly marked cockerels/rooster .because this days we see more black hens than true black copper one ( hen with a lovely coppery hackle )

here a photo of my blue cockerel like yours .overly marked .
P1060036.JPG

chooks man

he is a keeper and he is an asset to you in the future .
I always have one or 2 overly marked cockerels/rooster .because this days we see more black hens than true black copper one ( hen with a lovely coppery hackle )

here a photo of my blue cockerel like yours .overly marked .
View attachment 1091240

chooks man

Hmm...Perhaps it would be worth keeping the middle boy, instead? I can't have too many roos here, even though I'm in the "country"...We have really close neighbors and having 3 crowing is the most I can do. I have 3 now, but one is slated for a dinner plate. I guess I'll wait until they feather out a bit more and see where we're at. These all will need to be worked with, anyway, as they came from eggs that were all-together too light for my tastes, but my Blacks lay very dark so I figured I could sort that out over time.

Back
Top Bottom