Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Hmm...Perhaps it would be worth keeping the middle boy, instead? I can't have too many roos here, even though I'm in the "country"...We have really close neighbors and having 3 crowing is the most I can do. I have 3 now, but one is slated for a dinner plate. I guess I'll wait until they feather out a bit more and see where we're at. These all will need to be worked with, anyway, as they came from eggs that were all-together too light for my tastes, but my Blacks lay very dark so I figured I could sort that out over time.

if your are limited to have as many rooster ,than chose wisely .
let them do some more growing ,so you can pick the best one

I give my neighbors egg/ cockerels and a cull pullets .they love me for it and they leave me along doing my thing .

chooks man

if your are limited to have as many rooster ,than chose wisely .
let them do some more growing ,so you can pick the best one

I give my neighbors egg/ cockerels and a cull pullets .they love me for it and they leave me along doing my thing .

chooks man

Yes, I give our neighbors eggs, as well, and they've never complained, but they rent and it's possible that in the future someone else may not be so inclined to turn a blind ear when all 3 start in at 4:30 a.m. Also I don't want to cause the current neighbors to have issues with the noise level if I were to keep more.

I will wait and see how these boys feather out, and how the black pullets I have are looking at that time, and make my decision then. Thank you for all your comments and advice! :)

I got some better pictures of the Splash Pullet today. We've named her Snow. Is she overly pale?
DSCF0718.JPG
DSCF0684.JPG

I noticed that all three of the blue boys have very light legs, almost white. Will they darken a bit as they mature? The most colorful male looks like he is getting an odd sprig on his comb, so now I am waffling and thinking I may keep the middle one with less color. His copper seems to be a nice tone, and isn't all over the place like the bigger cockerel's. The only thing I don't like is his lack of feathers on his shanks...but Snow has wonderfully feathered legs, so perhaps if I put him over her I could even that out.
DSCF0719.JPG
DSCF0720.JPG

I got some better pictures of the Splash Pullet today. We've named her Snow. Is she overly pale?
View attachment 1100847 View attachment 1100848
I noticed that all three of the blue boys have very light legs, almost white. Will they darken a bit as they mature? The most colorful male looks like he is getting an odd sprig on his comb, so now I am waffling and thinking I may keep the middle one with less color. His copper seems to be a nice tone, and isn't all over the place like the bigger cockerel's. The only thing I don't like is his lack of feathers on his shanks...but Snow has wonderfully feathered legs, so perhaps if I put him over her I could even that out.
View attachment 1100852 View attachment 1100853

Tiegrisi,

Your Snow looks good - she has nice eyes, strong head / beak and good size / type / mass. Does she always carry her tail in a down position? She looks exactly like my Splash Hen at about the same age and she too carried her tail in the down position until she started to lay. My Splash lays the darkest egg of all my Marans so I'm hoping her daughters got a good dose of her genes - I'll find out in a couple of months.

Is the cockerel pictured the one with light colored legs or comb sprig?

Take Care,
Keith

Tiegrisi,

Your Snow looks good - she has nice eyes, strong head / beak and good size / type / mass. Does she always carry her tail in a down position? She looks exactly like my Splash Hen at about the same age and she too carried her tail in the down position until she started to lay. My Splash lays the darkest egg of all my Marans so I'm hoping her daughters got a good dose of her genes - I'll find out in a couple of months.

Is the cockerel pictured the one with light colored legs or comb sprig?

Take Care,
Keith

Thank you, I hope she turns out well. She does carry her tail that way more often than not. Unfortunately, she came from a very light egg, so that will have to be corrected down the line if I use her, but she has lovely feathered shanks and toes, which my black copper ladies are short on.

The cockerel pictured is the one with light legs.

question on sexing bcm chicks.....

I have 5 two week old bcm chicks....after the first week, 3 of the chicks had developed tail feathers & two hadn't....now those two are starting to develop tail feathers, but they look different....

are the ones that developed tail feathers first, cockerels? and the others, pullets?
is this an acceptable or accurate way to sex them?

update.....found a diagram online that appears to answer my question & those with tail feathers are pullets, not cockerels, and the ones without are cockerels....so, then chick #1 & #3 are cockerels, and #2, #4 & #5 are pullets going by that diagram I found....

I am planning of breeding these to my black birchen roo whose pic I use as my avatar, so will those chicks be birchen or copper?

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 0
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 0
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 0
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 0
  • #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey, new Blue CM keeper here! I don't know if anyone reads this thread anymore, but if so, can someone tell me when the pullets start getting copper heads? I've got a pullet around 8-9 weeks old, but I'm not seeing any copper on her head at all. I'm starting to get bummed and wondering if she will ever even get any copper coloring :fl - hope so!

Hey, new Blue CM keeper here! I don't know if anyone reads this thread anymore, but if so, can someone tell me when the pullets start getting copper heads? I've got a pullet around 8-9 weeks old, but I'm not seeing any copper on her head at all. I'm starting to get bummed and wondering if she will ever even get any copper coloring :fl - hope so!
From my experience no set time for the copper to show up. Usually after three weeks and then when they decide. They color up like the BC Marans and sometimes they will get very little and even some will never color up. Lots depends how good they are bred.

From my experience no set time for the copper to show up. Usually after three weeks and then when they decide. They color up like the BC Marans and sometimes they will get very little and even some will never color up. Lots depends how good they are bred.
Hey, thanks for your answer! So, now she's around 4 months old, and there's still no copper showing. Do you think then that she probably just wont get any copper, or could some copper show up after her first moult? Thanks!

Hey, thanks for your answer! So, now she's around 4 months old, and there's still no copper showing. Do you think then that she probably just wont get any copper, or could some copper show up after her first moult? Thanks!
Most likely if you get any Copper it will not be much. You can still use her in your Blue copper breedings though.

Back
Top Bottom