Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Weird huh? Blows my mind.
If you remember 1 1/2 year ago I had to cull 400-500 of these from a male BC that I did not test mate enough. I took a test of about 20 chicks and thought they would be fine so went ahead and turned all BC females out of the breeding pens and only had the one male with them, I believe the male is on my album profile page.. A person should not decide a test mating is ok after two weeks of observing the chicks. I grew these chicks to frying size and all went to the asian market. None were let out to the public.

If you remember 1 1/2 year ago I had to cull 400-500 of these from a male BC that I did not test mate enough. I took a test of about 20 chicks and thought they would be fine so went ahead and turned all BC females out of the breeding pens and only had the one male with them, I believe the male is on my album profile page.. A person should not decide a test mating is ok after two weeks of observing the chicks. I grew these chicks to frying size and all went to the asian market. None were let out to the public.
Kim and all, I believe this is from the wheaten being bred into the BC for many many generations and if you look the male these are from usually has too much brown on the chest. just rambling

Just something to think about, does anyone know why there are no breeds with the splash recognized by the APA?  In all the breeds I have ever owned with splash I have just used the Splash in breeding the Blues, and Blue coppers and in other breeds the combinations of the Blue colors. Just something to think about.

So then would I use the blue copper standards for the leg color?

So then would I use the blue copper standards for the leg color?
No you would want to have WHITE leg and toe color, I would recommend that if you are going to work with the Splash , that you do it with an open mind to using them in a blue or Blue Copper program. keep in mind though that you sure can do what you would like with them since they belong to you. Splash sure is a nice color.

Wait a minute......I'm confused.......we are suppose to be breeding Blue Coppers with white legs? Or the Splash Coppers should have white legs?

I prefer the slate/blue legs on both.

Don~ About the autosomal barring and the Black Coppers...........HOWCOME WE DON'T SEE THIS AUTOSOMAL BARRING IN THE BLUE COPPERS? Why do we only see it on the BCM?

Wait a minute......I'm confused.......we are suppose to be breeding Blue Coppers with white legs? Or the Splash Coppers should have white legs?

I prefer the slate/blue legs on both.

Don~ About the autosomal barring and the Black Coppers...........HOWCOME WE DON'T SEE THIS AUTOSOMAL BARRING IN THE BLUE COPPERS? Why do we only see it on the BCM?
Kim, I believe that Walt said the splash should have WHITE legs and the Blue copper should have medium Slate. The reason for the BC being the only one with the messed up color is probably because they have had a better chance to be destroyed with everyone wanting to cross them with everything .

Suggest anyone planning on breeding the Splash Marans in your breeding go to the French Site and all is explained there on how to breed them with the BC to get Blue Copper. Just click on all varieties and scroll down to the Splash, very informative article.

Back
Top Bottom