Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

The chicks I have hatched from my Foley group have been quite easy to sex once they start feathering in because the cockerels feather so slowly. Do others of you with breeders from Jerry see the same?

Very obvious difference - pullet on the left & cockerel on the right. Poor boy is nearly bald.

Same cockerel on the left with an older boy. The older cockerel is just starting to really feather in.

The chicks I have hatched from my Foley group have been quite easy to sex once they start feathering in because the cockerels feather so slowly. Do others of you with breeders from Jerry see the same?

Very obvious difference - pullet on the left & cockerel on the right. Poor boy is nearly bald.

Same cockerel on the left with an older boy. The older cockerel is just starting to really feather in.

I'm showing the same thing with mine, fast feathering pullets. And I'm sure getting a high pullet count this year so far, with all my breeds.

Mine are not usually that slow. Both roos and pullets feather slow here that makes for better lacing..... same happens with my barred rocks and they are sometimes more bald than your guy.... I don't use the ones that feather way slower than the rest.

well, of the 6 eggs from Donna, 5 have hatched! one zipped and quit. same with the Dorkings, one zipped all the way then just quit. go figure.

so I've got 8 chicks from Donna plus my Canada girl to kickstart my blrw flock next year.
fl.gif
for lots of girls and maybe 2 boys. LOL

well, i woke up this morning to a few peeps from my eggs. my broody has succeeded her first hatch. by 6 a.m. there were already 3 wet chicks, and after an hour i went to check on them again, and many more had hatched, some wet, some fluffy, and the eggs that were still whole had already shown signs of life, one was zipped, and a couple had holes pecked. should i pick her up and do a head count? and when should i assist any chicks needing help? this is my first hatch too, so i really have just been watching, don't really know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom