Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I feed a 50/50 ratio of a game bird finisher micro pellet and free range mix. I have 2 x metal garbage bins side by side for easy mixing. Every Friday they get cooked rice or pasta with 3-4 eggs mixed through and 3 x tins of sardines in olive oil. They do of course get table scraps but they don't stretch far between 50 birds. Before I started them on the game bird finisher MP they were getting the average layer mix but I wasn't happy with the wastage , cause they just wouldn't eat it. The micro pellet is a little more expensive but they eat it. Partly because they don't see it in amongst the grain.
Purina have a similar product 'Game bird flight conditioner ' . I have a mixed flock so I like the fact that it is low in calcium 1.35% . Calcium carbonate on free take for the layers of course. :)

Is the game bird finisher high in protein ? I've never heard of free range mix. Is this the actual name of it or what should I look for if I were to ask for it at a local feed store ?

Quote:
I have never heard of anyone else using free range mix LOL. I use Tuckers Milling and they have a free range mix I sometimes use that with the 22% Layer Feed they have. I love the feed, it is a pork based feed and I feel chickens really need that.

If they are using Tuckers it is kinda regional feed. They are a smaller company and are not looking to expand. Not easy to find here. The Co-op carries it in my small town but only the Free Range and Layer feeds.... no chick starter. I have to drive about 50 miles away to get everything I want. She orders it for me, but I buy 60-65 bags a trip.

Is the game bird finisher high in protein ? I've never heard of free range mix. Is this the actual name of it or what should I look for if I were to ask for it at a local feed store ?

The free range mix here is what I think you guys call ' scratch ' , triticale, wheat, sunflower, cracked corn etc...... The Purina game bird is 19 % protein and contains animal protein . They would do well on just the MP if yours are content with pellets alone.

http://wildlife.purinamills.com/nutritionmanagement/ecmd2-0017430.aspx

Thank you. This is my favourite little hen unfortunately her sister beat her up yesterday and just about tore her comb off. I've cleaned her up and sprayed it with Terramycin antibiotic spray. It looks like it will heal but I fear she will never be this pretty again.

ohhh, poor girl! :(

I have to hop on board this thread! I have been waiting, not very patiently, for my 15 BLRW chicks to arrive in a couple weeks! Looking at these pics is not helping my anxiousness!From the 1st time I laid eyes on them, I knew I had to have some! To sum up the colors, is there basically 3? Blue, Black, Splash?
yes, that's true. But if they bred a black with a splash all the chicks would be blue, which I assume many sellers do since that color was ordered.

Oh wow is there a lot to learn and a bit complicated!!! So we can't call them Blue Laced Red Wyandottes anymore? Or what's their name now!??! So confused 

Thanks for the link @Bethel3330
! I will show that my husband!! 
You're welcome. I just found it and learned this recently myself. Genetics intrigues me.

Their Name is Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. As with all blues they will produce splash and black too.... that is just understood. The other 2 colors will likely not be admitted to the APA but we will see.

Their Name is Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.  As with all blues they will produce splash and black too.... that is just understood.  The other 2 colors will likely not be admitted to the APA but we will see.
it really would make sense if they all were since, if you breed blue to blue, that's what you get. But I know nothing about how the APA works, just a layperson here. But curious how it'll all turn out. :)

Back
Top Bottom