Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

You said she's eight weeks old? Seems to me that eight weeks is STILL to early to have that much red and wattle, my 12 week old golds and silvers still don't have wattles like that. Hers seem to be the same size as my almost seven week olds. And everyone says they are Roos.

I was very excited as I'm hatching my first batch of chicks from my own birds. I've been counting the days and have been soooo disappointed in my hatch so far! :(
So far 3 out of 4 of my chicks have a SINGLE comb instead of the wyandotte ROSE comb!?

I know a throwback comb can show up occaisionally , but 3 of 4?!!! I still have 5 more hatching and I'm scared to see what combs they will have...
None of my birds have single combs they all have rose combs . I understand the color genetics but can anyone explain the comb genetics to me do I can try to eliminate this?
Or is this a more common trait than I think?

My hens

My roo

Chick one - single comb probably dark blue or black

Chick 2 single comb

Chick 3 single comb

Chick 4 - my only rose comb baby so far

- Jenn

I was very excited as I'm hatching my first batch of chicks from my own birds. I've been counting the days and have been soooo disappointed in my hatch so far!
sad.png

So far 3 out of 4 of my chicks have a SINGLE comb instead of the wyandotte ROSE comb!?

I know a throwback comb can show up occaisionally , but 3 of 4?!!! I still have 5 more hatching and I'm scared to see what combs they will have...
None of my birds have single combs they all have rose combs . I understand the color genetics but can anyone explain the comb genetics to me do I can try to eliminate this?
Or is this a more common trait than I think?

My hens

My roo

Chick one - single comb probably dark blue or black

Chick 2 single comb

Chick 3 single comb

Chick 4 - my only rose comb baby so far

- Jenn
did you breed two siblings or a related pair?

if they both carry the gene (single comb is recessive) then it is way more likely to show up over the dominant rose comb gene...

maybe someone else more knowledgable can talk more about it.

did you breed two siblings or a related pair?

if they both carry the gene (single comb is recessive) then it is way more likely to show up over the dominant rose comb gene...

maybe someone else more knowledgable can talk more about it.

No my rooster is not related to my hens - I guess maybe. 1 or more of my hens has the gene as well...

4 more have hatched today after the last post and luckily they all have rose combs so a total of 5 rose combs and 3 single ( although small they are there) ... With 3 single combs hatching first back to back to back I was really getting nervous!!!

No my rooster is not related to my hens - I guess maybe. 1 or more of my hens has the gene as well...

4 more have hatched today after the last post and luckily they all have rose combs so a total of 5 rose combs and 3 single ( although small they are there) ... With 3 single combs hatching first back to back to back I was really getting nervous!!!

yes, I think you are right... if I were you I would try to selectively hatch to identify which hen is throwing the single combs. can be quite complicated to do, I know! you would need to trap nest and mark the egg, then separate the different hen's eggs at hatch time too. OR hatch from only 1 hen at a time.

I would NOT breed the single comb chicks that have hatched, or even sell them personally.. I would cull.

I have chicks! These are my first ones.
17 perfect little fluff balls are here.
It looks like I have a good variety of colors, mostly blues. Can't wait to post pics, but it isn't letting me at the moment.

Oh. My. Word. Those are GORGEOUS!!

Update pic: Bucky/Beatrice 8 weeks. I used to be SO sure she was a he. Hmm...

Looks like a pullet to me.
I'm no expert but in my humble opinion its a cockerel. Good looking blue red though.
thumbsup.gif
X2

This is my group of 7 week olds, the combs and wattles on the Roos are slightly redder and as the weeks go on the wattles will drop more noticeably . In pic 3 the blacks are your best example , the roo is redder.
Beautiful.

I have chicks! These are my first ones.
17 perfect little fluff balls are here.
It looks like I have a good variety of colors, mostly blues. Can't wait to post pics, but it isn't letting me at the moment.
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

That's awesome, Megan!! Can't wait for pics and updates! Wooo-hoooooooo!!!

Back
Top Bottom