Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
Is it normal for BLRW's to lay huge eggs ? Hers are all huge and they won't fit in the egg cartons, and none of my other Wyandottes lay eggs nearly THAT big. She's been laying for 4 months now, and the shell is really thin. I just don't want one to break while she is laying it, and hurt her. I always have oyster shell available, and give milk as a treat to help the egg shells. Should I be worried at all ?
hu.gif

Quote:
I don't believe milk will provide enough calcium for nice hard shells (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) It is best to provide oyster shell free choice
smile.png
Most of my Wyandottes lay a medium sized egg. Now that some of them are over 18 months old, some of the eggs are getting larger though.

Quote:
I did too about a week ago and still no response.

I placed an online order a year ago for almost $300 in chicks. Never heard back, so I just gave up and found another breed that's even more impossible to work with- buff ameraucanas
tongue.png

This is what happened to me. Ordered $100s worth of chicks talked on the phone then they just kinds dropped everything and are impossible to get ahold of even though I've emailed many times. I wanted his birds soooo bad! absolutely gorgeous birds!

I made email contact with a breeder who has Paul/Foley lines. I am on her waitinging list. Plus I found a local breeder who has lines from a BYCer in MI. So excited. I plan to buy eggs from the local guy and purchase chicks from the other breeder.

We lost our only BLRW pullet and were looking to start breeding them soon. She just hit 5 months of age. We are so sad. Can anyone point me to where I can find a new pullet?

Here is a picture of my Splash Rooster and two young pullets that I just bought. One is dark blue, the other is black. I also have some eggs coming from another breeder and I am hoping for some really nice blues from them.

93129_imag0055.jpg

He looks brighter red in this picture than he really is.

93129_imag0056.jpg

He is currently housed with 3 splash hens and one Wellsummer who will not leave his side. He does very well with them when the free range.
93129_imag0050.jpg

93129_imag0048.jpg

Not the best pictures of these two, but they do not sit still long.

My hope is to add in the two new pullets soon and hatch out some nice blues or blacks to add in come spring.

Back
Top Bottom