Pics

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have 7 chicks growing from some Blue Rock eggs that I purchased and had shipped, from 12 eggs. I got 4 splash and 3 blues. All are really beautiful, but this particular one has the most beautiful and even colored feathering. I think whether boy or girl, he will stay right here.

307794022.jpg

307794024.jpg

It is completely correct. Both the sire and dam influence the barring of the male offspring, hence my use of the word 'also'.

There are indeed many crosses that can result in a blue male with a single copy of barring, but none that you mention with a barred hen would allow the male to have the solid blue sisters pictured.

Your notation actually adds confusion because the female chromosome in chickens is W and not Y, and when giving the female genotype for any Z-linked trait, the non-applicable allele is denoted by a - (e.g., B-) and not a second letter.

Last edited:
Each country writes its own Standard and sets its own rules on breeds and exhibition.

The North American Standard is similar, but nowhere near identical to the Standard written and applied in Australia, GB, Netherlands, etc. Each country has their own breeds they accept, different varieties- yeah or nay, and differing exhibition rules.

Makes sense because in some countries, certain varieties and certain breeds are simply not available or have not reached critical mass or have not yet been shown to have been kept by an adequate number of breeders. While some individual birds may be up to exhibition form, the number being kept and bred is simply not wide enough for the poultry association of that nation to write a description or accept them into their Standard.

Here in the US, the APA is tightening the acceptance standards for new breeds and new varieties. The bar is being raised. In too many cases, there are indeed birds in the American Standard that have been abandoned, are extinct, or are no longer widely held in top form. Honestly, there are breeds and varieties accepted in the current Standard that might as well be dropped, which the APA has done in the past.

OK I will be a dope, if a bird colour e.g. Blue is in the standards how come it is not recognised?
I am new to the show business!!!!

The part about the Standard in the US that kills me is Blue Rocks are accepted but Black Rocks are not...... that one is a head scratcher to me.

I am sure your standards are just different than the US. Blue Rocks are not very common here. I am working to get me a good flock going and so far they are looking pretty good. My leg color issue is not a LACK of yellow but too much dark coloring in the legs. My new pullets do have some nice lacing though and the blacks look really nice too.

“A very good effort.” Said the judge.
Got a ribbon as best in class at a class. As I have to compete with more established breeds and colours, there were a number of birds in AOV . As we showers know it is hard for a blue to compete against other colours etc. So I must be doing something right.
I still think the tail is too long.

Five years ago when I started back into the world of poultry I was looking for LF blue rocks. None! I stumbled across this thread and read it all the way through tonight. I found it very helpful as I am working on LF Black and Blue Orpingtons, because, no blue rocks! I am also looking for Bantam black Plymouth Rocks and they are also very hard to find. Breaking out my new ABA yearbook tomorrow! Enjoyed the genetics refresher of sexlinked traits, lacing, legs, and some history. Pictures were great and I wanted to ask where everyone went in 2015? Also to tell Findtex great job and sometimes we just have to get our birds out there even if we are still working on them. emenheiser I would like to see a front view of that Andalusian line female and maybe an over the top view also to see her width and depth. Or if you have another generation to show??? Enjoyed my reading!

Back
Top Bottom