Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love some input on breeding for colour in the new line of delawares from Kathyinmo. Kind of at a loss.......... Posted on the Delawares from Kathyinmo thread if anyone could offer any help.

http://frmfeeds.com/80712/288950.html

new feed out for folks in the deep south. Got a bag tonight will try it.

Normally I use FRM Game Bird Pellets and may mix this fifty fifty and see how it works.

Don't know much about the receipt on the Delaware strain of Kathy but I would breed for type if I get her birds right off the bat and then work on the color in a year or two. The mix will follow along. May be tricky for beginners. This old breed never made it big as they did not breed true. They are a cross from a Barred Rock and a New Hampshire. But if anyone can do it she can. She is a real Breeder. bob

Nope, the history is actually pretty interesting. Ms. Metcalf developed her Buckeye around the same time, and RIR's hadn't made it that far West ( Ohio)... She did look into getting them named as a RC RIR in the Standard of the time, but that didn't work out. That's the very very short version :) Someone oughta make a movie! Like that one about Crick who helped steal the discovery of the double helix for DNA. Is Goldblum still making movies?
:)
Forgive me on this I thought there was red blood in the make up. I may have read a article somewhere in the 50s or 60s poultry journals and some one might have crossed reds into their line of buckeyes. Let me tell you if this did and you have some of this blood in there that may be why you are seeing the smut. I have no idea. Let me tell you tell you about the old Ringlet Barred Rock line of Ralph Sturgeon from Ohio. I was told by three source's that he crossed Rhode Island Reds into his barred Rock Large Fowl line every eight years. WHY. I have no idea. Then I bet he breed this back or inbreed the best male back to a barred rock female for three years then crossed this into his line. WHY again never got a answer . so even when you think a strain is pure for 100 years something or someone will do something off the wall. One guy crossed white Wyandotte's into his white rock bantam line 20 years ago. He thought he would help his tails on his females? Why so stupid. Its haunting people who crossed his birds into their line of bantams and they can not figure out why they get non rock type every five to eight years.

Other wise if no Reds are in Buckeyes I have no clue why you are fighting the smutt issue. Sorry for misguiding you on the origin. Been working with to much glue lately any way maybe he reason.

One guy crossed white Wyandotte's into his white rock bantam line 20 years ago. He thought he would help his tails on his females? Why so stupid. Its haunting people who crossed his birds into their line of bantams and they can not figure out why they get non rock type every five to eight years.
Other wise if no Reds are in Buckeyes I have no clue why you are fighting the smutt issue. Sorry for misguiding you on the origin. Been working with to much glue lately any way maybe he reason.
Oh, somewhere SOMEONE may have messed about with RIR into Buckeyes... only detailed DNA testing would help there...
lau.gif
First valium, now glue... quite mixing your recreational drugs, or we'll be missing you!

From what I read of the article it seems the bar of slate is to distinguish the Buckeye palette from the RIR and Red Sussex? Surely that can't be the only reason?

I don't think it would distinguish them from the RIR because RIR's sometimes have this as well. The difference is RIR people call it "Smut" as Bob said earlier. It is not desirable in RIR's but is believed to be a heavy expression of black and many RIR folks feel as though you can use these birds for breeding to improve the black in the wing if your line is weak in wing color. If you have good wing and tail color in your Reds these birds are culls. The only reason to use one of these birds is to improve wing color. It is also present in some lines of American New Hampshires and is not desirable in that breed either. I always check every Red and NH that I handle because it is more common than people think and most people don't even notice it but some Judges will check for it on Reds.

Matt

Some one sparyed the weeds and killed them. I just got my organic vitimens in so off the glue working on my front porch door glueing it into the brick frame. Valium don't need it any more. Drinking organic juice from a juicer. Need to start eating more raw fish from the store the Sushi stuff.

In regards to the feed I talked about I think its a cheap way to get people to go organic. I can not put a finish on a Red with soy bean feed. Wont use this stuff going back to Game Bird feed and pay $3. more a sack.

I agree with Matt on birds with smut. Don't use them for breeders unless you got a color issue. If your birds or reds have black qquill color you cant get them any darker. So only use a male like this if you need to feed your line as some can loose their color over time. No all strains will have dark color or be free of pepper in the wings. This is how you get beat by top large fowl judges who know their stuff.

Just put eight mattings together for my bantams with six females and two males. Got two males ckls and two hens coming back from Arkansas in a few months. The hens are three years old and daughters from My last Champion of the show red bantam male I had so my partner put the breeding pressure on heads for four years. Two females produced 11 ckls with 9 of them with five points combs and good blades. The 9 pullets eight have five point combs and one with four points. That is power from these two hens. Matt knows how you can get stuck on a four point bantam head which I have. I have worked four years on top lines and a ten degree lift on the female back also have three birds that are two oz under weight. Now if I can rap all of this together in two or three years. I will have the perfect red bantam. Not like my avatar. That is the reason it is so nice to have a partner who can help you he saved me four years of work. BOB

Last edited:
Don't know much about the receipt on the Delaware strain of Kathy but I would breed for type if I get her birds right off the bat and then work on the color in a year or two. The mix will follow along. May be tricky for beginners. This old breed never made it big as they did not breed true. They are a cross from a Barred Rock and a New Hampshire. But if anyone can do it she can. She is a real Breeder. bob
Thank you Bob for your advise, it is valued and appreciated. I know these guys will be tricky but I think most of us that have them seem to be comitted to work together as much as we can and help get this line going. They are superior birds in many ways and Kathy has done a fantastic job to this point and I so appreciate being able to get some of her F'4's and share in this journey!

I can't tell you how much I've learned from this post.  When you line all of these photos up against one another, it says so much.  What a brilliant idea.  I will be taking photos of my birds and check them against the SOP using this method.  

I also learned a tremendous amount from your previous post that actually contained a blacked-out silhouette.  I can still see that particular image in my mind!  And the upside down derby hat description made me find more culls!

Thank you.
Very nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom