Booted Bantam Thread

Sadly I've decided to part with my booted bantam pair. The rooster doesn't know what he is doing when breeding. He just holds their head feathers and breeds the ground. He is almost a year old and not getting any smarter. I really like these two but I want to focus on just the D'uccles and Phoenixes.

So I've been breeding my mille fleur booted bantam trio and hatched out four hens last year. This year I've bred them back to the rooster and I've found that he's obviously split for lavender (porcelain). I now have some porcelain chicks hatching but what's interesting is that the down color for these chicks is different. I wondered why, but it seems that the down color of the split to lavender birds is a lighter color, leading me to believe I can tell which ones are pure mille, which are splits and of course which are porcelain.

Anyone else experience this with their mille booteds?

2 porcelain chicks

split to lav on the left, pure mille on right. Note the darker horn color of the beak and darker down color.

when I got a feather leg special I thought they were d' Uccle's but someone said they did not have beards so they thought they were booted bantam's . I cannot tell them from the cochins. I think they are the ones with blue legs so I will try to take pictures tomorrow. Got a new shed 16 x 20 feet as the old coop (same size is being repaired). then I will split the roosters back to the old coop..

Just found this thread and wanted to ask for your opinion. This is my little one, it is about 4-5 wks old. Any idea on the sex? Has a comb but not too large and not too red.... I am still on the fence. Thanks!

It would be easier to tell if there were others of the same age to compare with. My guess is male but that's just a guess.

[/IMG][/IMG]Finally i get to figure out what the two chicks are that I got for 75 cents lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom