bout how much does one sell a dozen farm fresh eggs?

In our area they go for anywhere from $3-6 from what I see. I feed all organic feed and I tend to supplement things I grow at my house which are also organic so people tend to pay more for that here. Organic feed or not, the hens are happier and better taken care of and lay much nicer eggs regardless of the feed you use so you can sometimes ask a bit more. Once people try them they often like the taste so much they will pay an extra dollar or so for a dozen.

You can price cage free-range eggs at your supermarket and price accordingly. Depending on your location they can range from $2.50 to $4-5. In urban areas they probably are priced on the higher side. Around me farmers will sell them for $2, but I can get $3.50 at a local produce market. Egg cartons can be an extra expense, also.

Last edited:
Thank you ...IV really enjoyed reading the posted threads...and ya all love chickens too...people think I'm chicken nuts...IV raised 15 peeps to pullets of 20 weeks and I'm excited and hooked...can't wait til spring to get some more...LOL IV learned a lot from ya all...thank you soon muxh

Its awful what the
Big egg production places do to their birds...anyone know how to stop that abuse and neglect...how does one rescue hens from them places?
I don't think something like that happens overnight and really we're all playing a part just by owning chickens and depending less on producers because we are the producers. I just try to spread the chicken fever to all my friends I figure it's worth it to give away one hen to my friends when you KNOW no one ever gets just one chicken and lasts a summer without getting another.

I am in east central wisconsin. The going rate around here is 2.50 to 3.00. I just posted my eggs for sale and someone asked if I would sell for 1.50! I refused that offer. To me that is too low and I will find customers elsewhere

Northern Illinois, $5 a dozen, anything less and I cook them up and feed them back to the birds... My repeat customers have no complaints at that price, in fact one of my repeat customers even buys me cartons when I run low as a thank you, and doesn't even asked for or expect reimbursement...

Around me $5 is still bellow the price for 'premium' eggs in the local grocery stores...

Last edited:
I charge less so I don't have to compete with HEB or Wal-Mart.

I look at it like this and I'm not afraid to tell it like this, I'm not Walmart and my eggs are not commercial hen factory farm Walmart eggs...

If someone wants to balk at my price and attempts to tell me they can get eggs at Walmart for this or that, I tell them I don't sell my eggs to or at Walmart but they are more than welcome to head up to Walmart and buy the cheaper eggs if that is what they want... That is usually met with something along the lines, 'But, I want your eggs as they are better." to which I reply, "If they are better why should I sell them for the same price as Walmart's inferior ones?"

To be blunt IMO if someone wants to price match my eggs to commercial hen house eggs, I really don't want them as a customer as they likley will never be happy anyway...

I'm not in the business of selling eggs as income, for those that depend on egg sales as income price matching might be an option, for me it's not worth my trouble or time...

At that price here I would be competing with the grocery stores.  It would be easier for them to buy while shopping then to drive to my house.  That's awesome for you!

My chickens eat about 100 pounds of feed a week and they free range all day.  My feed cost ranges from $12.99-$14.99 a 50 lb. bag at TSC so I'm looking at $26-$30 dollars a week just for feed.  I also buy 40 lb. bags of PDZ from a local feed store for $11.95 each.  I use two bags to cover all of my poop boards and it lasts for a couple months.  The pine shavings on the coop floor and nests last a long time so that's not a real big expense.

There is a feed grain mill about 1.5-2 hours from me and their feed sells for $10.15 a 50 lb. bag and $9.20 a 50 lb. hen scratch.  The lady I talked to didn't seem to know how fresh it was, she just said they sell a lot and make more when needed.  I wouldn't save due to gas driving there but it would make a nice road trip.se.

Wow that's a lot of feed! I only have 8 so mine go through about a bag or two a month. I personally don't believe 8 chickens can go through 40 pounds of food in just 2 weeks to a month so I think I might have a rodent problem maybe BUT I haven't seen any evidence of that and I tend to dump the bowls when they get close to empty or rained on so maybe they don't eat much and I'm just dumb and waste lots of feed LOL hoping to start using different feeders soon though that might help. My feed I think is like $14.

I charge $3.50 for the 18 pack large.  Most of my customers want 2-4 dozen at a time.  I have one customer that calls and ask me to save eggs for her for a certain amount of days for her husband who goes out on a shrimp boat.  Right now I'm saving for her until next Tuesday.  I get almost 3 dozen eggs a day.  She's my best customer and doesn't mind paying $3 for a dozen.  Right now I've got my eggs on sale to compete with the low store prices so she'll be happy.

That seems like a pretty good price. So like a dollar more or so? Wow that's awesome you have such regular customers! Most of the ones around us would probably only want a dozen at ones, older people mostly. But my brother takes a dozen or two when he runs out and every so often we give 2 dozen to my uncle.

I was surprised people will venture over to pick them up. Sometimes I drop off on my way doing other errands.
My customers all live fairly close.
Honestly, I would probably be too lazy to buy eggs separately, but knowing where their food comes from is really important to my buyers. It inspires me. My feed costs about $15 a month as mine also free range.

I would be too lazy too lol our feed is about the same.

I was thinking of just putting some sort of stand or something at the end of the driveway/by mailbox. Not sure I want people coming in the driveway with our dog.

Where I live - dozen farm-fresh eggs, are 1.50 from the local farmers as you drive down the road. They also sell Watermelons, 2 for 5 dollars, honey, pecans and afigs for a fraction of the cost in the market.

It costs more for us to have chickens for eggs, then we'd make selling any :p

Wow that's cheap! I'm not sure I'd even bother selling them at that point lol

Back
Top Bottom