Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Quote:
picking them up in person will help oodles!

the postal service likes using packages as hockey pucks
roll.png

picking them up in person will help oodles!

the postal service likes using packages as hockey pucks
roll.png
I agree that it may seem that way -- but the real danger to the eggs probably happens in the automatic sorting facilities. There are up to 4-foot conveyor belt drops that the package endures. (I wonder if it could be multiple times too depending on the sorting facility and the destination) So - think about dropping the package that far, maybe multiple times.

Recently I sent 1doz hatching eggs to this same state - and only 2 successfully hatched. Then I sent another doz. to Hawaii - and 6/12 hatched. There are a lot of factors that shipped eggs face. Sometimes I think it is a miracle that any can make it through the gauntlet.

I agree that it may seem that way -- but the real danger to the eggs probably happens in the automatic sorting facilities.  There are up to 4-foot conveyor belt drops that the package endures. (I wonder if it could be multiple times too depending on the sorting facility and the destination) So - think about dropping the package that far, maybe multiple times.  

Recently I sent 1doz hatching eggs to this same state - and only 2 successfully hatched.  Then I sent another doz. to Hawaii - and 6/12 hatched.  There are a lot of factors that shipped eggs face.  Sometimes I think it is a miracle that any can make it through the gauntlet. 
I agree that the mechanized sorting is the biggest issue. My local post office is always concerned when they receive eggs. Always call to let me know and to see if I want them to hold for pickup or to deliver. While I do think the rare postal employee is capable of purposely mishandling, I cant imagine that happens very often. I think all eggs should be packed separately and spread out in an oversized box. Spreading out the mass should reduce the shock and disperse it to the packing. Densely packed eggs shift the shock to the eggs and every bump and drop is fully borne by the eggs. My best results from shipped eggs are from large boxes with no more than 6-7 individually wrapped eggs dispersed throughout the packing. If the eggs are expensive I always pay the extra shipping to have them split into 2 boxes. I highly advise against having eggs packed in an egg carton or having more than 12 eggs in a single box.

Picked up my replacement eggs today. I am very hopeful that i will get a decent hatch this time. The eggs are huge once again. They look amazing.. I spent some time talking with the breeder and he has been breeding chickens for 30 years and is very knowledgeable and passionate. He showed me a picture of a one month old that had an awesome crest. Tight, high and tilted forward. He said it is the biggest crest he had seen on a chick that young... It looked like an 80s rap artist... Anyway, he really went out of his way to get me the eggs and wouldn't take a dime for them. I am just wondering if the sheer size of the eggs makes shipping them difficult. One thing for sure is that he put 28 eggs in one box when he shipped them. The box weighed a ton. Felt like there was a block of cement in there.

Does anyone on this thread know anything about Owl Beards?? I asked a question awhile back but no one seemed to care to answer. If anyone knows about Owl Beards, please comment & I'll ask my question again. Thanks!!

Does anyone on this thread know anything about Owl Beards?? I asked a question awhile back but no one seemed to care to answer. If anyone knows about Owl Beards, please comment & I'll ask my question again. Thanks!!
You may want to PM Henk69 - He lives in the netherlands, is a chicken expert and has been very kind and generous with his knowledge whenever I have contacted him. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom