Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

My goofy kid is finally growing up...
Just under 6 months now.

Very cute! Love the fluffy crest!

Very nice! I've found that most of the spitz roos are real nice birds. Trouble occurs when there are too many of them. This past year I wintered 6 roos which was a lot but manageable until spring came & they all wanted to b in charge. I kept them separated as best possible, but would come home to find one or two had jumped the fence to beat on another. Currently I have 2 adult roos and 18+ cockerels. That far exceeds the rooster quota :D. Have been trying to figure out how to build separate rooster quarters, tho that might be just a dream for now.

I was reading on the "Breeding for Production" thread a week or so ago. They were saying the Bachelor quarters should be out of sight of the pullets/hens. Out of sight out if mind I guess. I can't figure out how to do that here.

I'm about to pick up some hatching Cream Brabanter eggs and hoping to start working with this breed. I'd love to connect with others working with this breed. Are they hanging out here with the Spitz crew?

I'm about to pick up some hatching Cream Brabanter eggs and hoping to start working with this breed. I'd love to connect with others working with this breed. Are they hanging out here with the Spitz crew?
I have some Brabanters and I hang out on the FB pages but truthfully, there is a lot of drama over there. LOL I find it difficult to get people past their bragging about their own birds to provide much info on what to look for in hens and roos when culling out the less than desireables. Dont' get me wrong. You will find some helpful info from people who absolutely love their birds and pass along info like water running through a brook also. Thre is a member in there who is in the UK who has blacks, silvers, etc. and he is super helpful. He also has Pavlovskayas so we chat a lot via PMs. My brabanter roo looks a lot like a Pavlovskaya which is one breed used in the 'come back' periods". My undesirables go to the layer pen and the roosters get sold at auction. I am down to 1 rooster and he looks pretty good. His hens though....such cutie pies...with 'crests/mohawks' in various shapes and sizes. I have 3 potentials for breeding and that is a start.

I dont' know why this site does't get more participation from just Brabanter fans. There is so much info that could be passed along and so many things to talk about in trying to move forward with this breed. I am entering my roo in the Fair this year, under Other Breeds. He is that handsome (a mother's love only sees beauty when it comes to her 'kids') LOL

I just wanted to add that I purchased 8 Brabanters from Ideal Poultry and got them last March after being on their waiting list for 6 months. I also hatched 5 from purchased eggs and they are 1 week younger than the others. Unfortunately, I did not band them before I mixed them together in the coop. Now I don't know which came from who. Mine are mostly cream but the other have a lot of gold leakage. I suspect my roo is mostly gold with a little cream. I figure I will try and breed the nice combs and crests from the roo to the fluffy headed and Mohawk crested girls to try and get better at those characterisitics and then find creamier hens to breed forward also.

My Brabs are just now POL and my rooster has found his man voice and libido. They are a very nice breed with no aggression from the cockerel at all so far.

Last edited:
I have some Brabanters and I hang out on the FB pages but truthfully, there is a lot of drama over there.  LOL  I find it difficult to get people past their bragging about their own birds to provide much info on what to look for in hens and roos when culling out the less than desireables.  Dont' get me wrong. You will find some helpful info from people who absolutely love their birds and pass along info like water running through a brook also.  Thre is a member in there who is in the UK who has blacks, silvers, etc. and he is super helpful.  He also has Pavlovskayas so we chat a lot via PMs.  My brabanter roo looks a lot like a Pavlovskaya which is one breed used in the 'come back' periods".  My undesirables go to the layer pen and the roosters get sold at auction.  I am down to 1 rooster and he looks pretty good.  His hens though....such cutie pies...with 'crests/mohawks' in various shapes and sizes.  I have 3 potentials for breeding and that is a start.  

I dont' know why this site does't get more participation from just Brabanter fans.  There is so much info that could be passed along and so many things to talk about in trying to move forward with this breed.   I am entering my roo in the Fair this year, under Other Breeds.  He is that handsome (a mother's love only sees beauty when it comes to her 'kids')  LOL

I just wanted to add that I purchased 8 Brabanters from Ideal Poultry and got them last March after being on their waiting list for 6 months.  I also hatched 5 from purchased eggs and they are 1 week younger than the others.  Unfortunately, I did not band them before I mixed them together in the coop.  Now I don't know which came from who.  Mine are mostly cream but the other have a lot of gold leakage.  I suspect my roo is mostly gold with a little cream.  I figure I will try and breed the nice combs and crests from the roo to the fluffy headed and Mohawk crested girls to try and get better at those characterisitics and then find creamier hens to breed forward also.  

My Brabs are just now POL and my rooster has found his man voice and libido.  They are a very nice breed with no aggression from the cockerel at all so far.  

I joined the FB groups. I'm excited for my first hatch. I love the look of the Spitz too, but I'm trying to get more beards in my flock. I thought the Brabanters would have their own group. I contacted Greenfire about Pavlovskayas, but can't afford them yet. I'm still new to all of this so I still have so much to learn.

Last edited:
I joined the FB groups. I'm excited for my first hatch. I love the look of the Spitz too, but I'm trying to get more beards in my flock. I thought the Brabanters would have their own group. I contacted Greenfire about Pavlovskayas, but can't afford them yet. I'm still new to all of this so I still have so much to learn.

Good luck w ur eggs & have fun w ur brabanters! Keep us posted on how they do. :)

Back
Top Bottom