Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Hello Spitzhauben-land! Genetics questions:

Has anyone seen this before? I believe that both her parents were silver spitzes. At first I couldn’t figure out how she might have gotten the barring gene (B), but then I found some info that says autosomal barring occurs when Db & Pg are present without Ml or Co. If the genetic combination for spangling is Db, Pg, & Ml, perhaps she just didn’t get the Ml. The breeder I got her egg from has mentioned that she likes the birds with fewer/smaller spangles. So maybe the above bird’s parents were both Ml/ml, then the offspring would each have a 25% chance of getting the ml/ml, and therefore an incomplete spangle. Does it work that way?
So one might say, “this bird is all wrong, just cull her.” Well, I did not hatch many silvers and like her crest. I was thinking of putting her under a gold roo who appears to have some extra Ml, possibly Ml/Ml:

If I understand the gold/silver genetics correctly, a gold roo over silver hen will yield gold pullets and silver split to gold cockerels. Does that sound right? Any suggestions?

Ok is anyone still active on here? I have some chicks that are "supposedly" appenzeller spitzhaubens, hatched in mid-to-late September. Can anyone tell me how to guess on gender for these? I'll try to get some pics tonight to post...

Ok is anyone still active on here? I have some chicks that are "supposedly" appenzeller spitzhaubens, hatched in mid-to-late September. Can anyone tell me how to guess on gender for these? I'll try to get some pics tonight to post...

Hello. I'm sure there's a few of us around. Hopefully I didn't scare everyone away w genetics questions :).

I found with my chicks that watching for waddles & combs was the most accurate early difference. Some developed real late tho. Please post pics. Looking forward to seeing them!

Hello. I'm sure there's a few of us around. Hopefully I didn't scare everyone away w genetics questions
smile.png

I found with my chicks that watching for waddles & combs was the most accurate early difference. Some developed real late tho. Please post pics. Looking forward to seeing them!
I think your genetics statement about gold silver is correct. ;O) You will get gold females and silver males (split for gold and silver is dominant.) :O)

I think your genetics statement about gold silver is correct.  ;O)  You will get gold females and silver males (split for gold and silver is dominant.)  :O)

Thank you. Since that post I found another source which confirmed such. Seems the consensus on crossing the colors is to be very careful and have a goal/plan for the chicks.

Love this breed more all the time. Love that they don't seem to notice that it's cold & snowy & windy out there. Great birds with personality & good looks. Love em!

Post some pics - at 10 weeks or so mine were pretty easy to tell apart.

Might be a hen, not 100% sure. I just looked at some pics of mine at 9 weeks, and there's a lot of variation in the roos -

I believe this is the rooster in my avatar:

But this is another one at the same time:

The hens were like this:

and this:

(My hens are terrible - ended up with 12 cocks and 4 hens - I've got one decent hen). I'd guess pullet just because I don't see any red in the face.

Back
Top Bottom