Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

So who is breeding the best brabanters now? I have 2 creams and 2 golds. One of each is decent enough to work with (they came from the feed store so I do not know the breeder but would like to step up the quality right from the start). I'm not set on one color over the other but this is one project I want to work on next year. Which ever color I can get the best stock will determine the direction I go in. I do have guineas from H&H but I don't want to hatch eggs. Eggs that originate from lower altitudes have a poor hatch rate with the low humidity and altitude so I really need day old chicks.

Last edited:
So who is breeding the best brabanters now? I have 2 creams and 2 golds. One of each is decent enough to work with (they came from the feed store so I do not know the breeder but would like to step up the quality right from the start). I'm not set on one color over the other but this is one project I want to work on next year. Which ever color I can get the best stock will determine the direction I go in. I do have guineas from H&H but I don't want to hatch eggs. Eggs that originate from lower altitudes have a poor hatch rate with the low humidity and altitude so I really need day old chicks.

I'm planning on starting a breeding program in the spring. I have an okayish cream rooster, a gorgeous cream hen, and two pretty good gold hens. I'm curious about what will happen when I cross the cream roo with the gold hens. The calculator says I'll get all gold. Roo has the SWEETEST personality of any rooster I've owned. He would rather be with people than his hens. About half his body is laced, the other half is spangled.
I will be selecting for 1) personality/trilling 2) spangles/color and 3) beards without waddles. Those are my main goals, anyway.

What traits are you hoping for?

Here's my Roo. He's technically a 5 month old cockerel.

I have one really nice cream Brabanter girl remaining and was going to put her in the layer pen, but she is so sweet and with such a nice crest that I ordered 25 straight run from Ideal. They called this morning to confirm shipping in February. Hoping to get one good and nice boy from the batch!

I'm not going to hold one value as a higher importance. To get them to the SOP, every characteristic is important. I would think getting the correct spangling is probably the hardest thing thing to correct so that will have more weight in the beginning. All the pictures of stock online have wildly varied feathering so that tells me they haven't figure it out either. Can anyone shed some light on spangling genetics?

I'm not going to hold one value as a higher importance.  To get them to the SOP, every characteristic is important.  I would think getting the correct spangling is probably the hardest thing thing to correct so that will have more weight in the beginning.  All the pictures of stock online have wildly varied feathering so that tells me they haven't figure it out either.  Can anyone shed some light on spangling genetics?
the most important thing is to get the body correct. Color should be the last thing you do.

Walt

I'm not going to hold one value as a higher importance. To get them to the SOP, every characteristic is important. I would think getting the correct spangling is probably the hardest thing thing to correct so that will have more weight in the beginning. All the pictures of stock online have wildly varied feathering so that tells me they haven't figure it out either. Can anyone shed some light on spangling genetics?
How do I find the Standard of Perfection for brabanters? Is it the U.K.'s version? So far, I'm just going by Dutch sites I found online...

Back
Top Bottom