Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Hi Percheron chick,

May I borrow the observations that you made about how important a standard is for a developing breed? You made some excellent points as Walt has noted. This approach needs a wider audience. ;O)
Anything to get us down the road faster.

Has a Brabanter standard been presented to the APA? There is no US club to advance it so is it up to the individual breeders to move the issue forward? That could be fraught with problems.

http://www.bkuclub.nl/rassen/brabanters/goud-zwartgetoept

So this is a more detailed description of the Dutch club standard. Still has problems in translation.

Last edited:

Has a Brabanter standard been presented to the APA? There is no US club to advance it so is it up to the individual breeders to move the issue forward? That could be fraught with problems.

So this is a more detailed description of the Dutch club standard. Still has problems in translation.

The APA has not been approached about admitting the Brabanter to the APA Standard. You will need to look at an APA Standard and follow the same format that you see all the rest of the birds in it using. That will give you an idea of what features need to be described.

When you are ready the Standard Committee will help you.

Walt

I have read sporadically through this thread. I have ordered Cream Brabanters, 6 pullets and 2 roos, from Ideal Poultry. I have been to the H & H web site, but it only says 'sold out until 2014". Apparently H & H hasn't updated their site or ?? Anyway, I fell in love with the Brabanters just from their pics. I have never bred birds before and am new at chicken keeping in general. My questions on Brabanters is

1. If I ordered hatching eggs from H & H, will I be able to breed them and get a more 'pure' standard from the mix meaning generational crossing?
2. Should I add a couple of Silkie chicks or Buff Orpington chicks for ease of hatching eggs from the Brabanters in the future?

Please don't make fun of this newbie for my lack of knowledge. I will read every post in this thread eventually and gain as much knowledge of Brabanters as I can as well as breeding tips on generations, what to look for, etc.

Last edited:
It seems like most of the small breeders are pretty bad about updating their websites regularly. Not the best for business.

H and H appears to have the largest flock of breeding brabanters out there. You will end up with eggs from different hens covered by different roosters. The chances that you would end up with even 2 eggs from the same hen are slim. That should give you more to work with down the road. I ended up this some abandoned guinea keets at the post office from H and H. The amount of time April spent trying to track them down and find them a home spoke volumes. I would definitely buy from her in the future.

I have hatched eggs with different breeds of hens. My SL cochin has been my go to girl. You can also get more chicks under a big hen. If I was spending the $$ to get in eggs, I would not chance them with a hen. I would by an incubator and hatch them there. I have never seen hard numbers of naturally hatched and brooder chicks vs human raised but I have had much better results when I do the work. It is super easy to let a hen rear the chicks (and keets) but I have about a 50% failure rate.

It seems like most of the small breeders are pretty bad about updating their websites regularly. Not the best for business.

H and H appears to have the largest flock of breeding brabanters out there. You will end up with eggs from different hens covered by different roosters. The chances that you would end up with even 2 eggs from the same hen are slim. That should give you more to work with down the road. I ended up this some abandoned guinea keets at the post office from H and H. The amount of time April spent trying to track them down and find them a home spoke volumes. I would definitely buy from her in the future.

I have hatched eggs with different breeds of hens. My SL cochin has been my go to girl. You can also get more chicks under a big hen. If I was spending the $$ to get in eggs, I would not chance them with a hen. I would by an incubator and hatch them there. I have never seen hard numbers of naturally hatched and brooder chicks vs human raised but I have had much better results when I do the work. It is super easy to let a hen rear the chicks (and keets) but I have about a 50% failure rate.
Thanks so much for the info. I only discovered the name H & H from this site a couple of weeks ago. It has never been mentioned in any of the hatchery info most people seem to order from. Good to know they utilize due diligence in their breeding selections.

this is a pic of my Spitzhauben hen at about 12 months old she came from a breeder in East Derry, NH

Very Nice! I got my Spitzhauben from the same breeder
smile.png
I live right down the road from her. I have 3 females and just love them to bits.

Maybe Sigrid could help us with this? She's on the FB page that David Sapp started for Brabanters. We really should start a club. BTW, anyone in Southern California with a Creme Brab cockerel or rooster available?

Betsy

Back
Top Bottom