Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
yeah, me too, would love to have some of your bloodlines,colors
droolin.gif

Ok, I figured it out..lol..here are the pics of the Brahmas..i'm just wondering if $5/egg is worth it..i <3 Brahmas but idk if these guys have good qualities...thanks for the help...@Big Medicine, i finally got an incubator...do you have any eggs? :)

Do not particularly like the tail on the above female, the black primary tail feathers sit too high for my liking. Seems to me to be kind of short backed as well. You can tell this an older drawing by the white saddle feathers on this light male.

Really like the type on these darks.

Do like the length of back on the below female.

Nice.

Last edited:
Well shoot, not sure what exactly just happened there. Was pulling some examples of Brahma type together when it went ahead and printed it. Hang tough a minute and I'll try to get this straightened out.

I like this hen, shows a good full breast. Close enough to show some skull and a bit of the scowl facial expression you like to see on a Brahma. Good straight upward tilt on the topline.

I'm still not sure...I'm sure these are project birds...idk whether they're worth a go or not...the hens look like they may have too much flesh on their faces?? But like I said, I'm no expert...I would love to make blue Brahmas...Do you need black Brahmas to get blue? I need to learn more about genetics, but I learn better when I can see something...ugh...Sorry for all the questions..& thank you for the help...

I'm still not sure...I'm sure these are project birds...idk whether they're worth a go or not...the hens look like they may have too much flesh on their faces?? But like I said, I'm no expert...I would love to make blue Brahmas...Do you need black Brahmas to get blue? I need to learn more about genetics, but I learn better when I can see something...ugh...Sorry for all the questions..& thank you for the help...

Blue is a diluter of black, but if you could get your hands on some blues you would not necessarily need black to start with. Breeding blue to blue should produce 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% black chicks.

The facial flesh, to my way of thinking, is secondary to establishing proper type. The males saddle feathers showing some brassiness has me concerned somewhat.

If I remember correctly you don't want to mix black and blue. The black that results from the blues isn't the same. Something to do with the lack of shine they end up having.

There is a theory among some breeders that a black that is a result of a blue to blue breeding may not have the beetle green sheen that is desired. Not sure how much stock to put in to that theory, but on the flip side many believe you can improve color and lacing by breeding black into their blues periodically.

Thank you all very much for your input. Still not sure if I'm going to get the eggs or not. Maybe i'll just look for some blues. :) I have Gold Laced & Lights already but would love more colors. I need to work on the lacing of the Golds anyhow. Trying to figure out which ones to cull at the moment. I only have 7 hens, though, & 8 cocks. They are just 6 months old. I was going to keep all the hens but I need coop room. I'm just not sure which ones I want to keep, which ones look the best.

Can someone please show me some photos of the bottom and top of a Brahma foot?
My Brahma's feet look puffy and I'd like to have something to compare it to.
Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom