Brahma Breeders thread

Can anyone describe what the wing carriage is supposed to be for the cockerel/cock bird? Maybe post a picture of "perfect" or as close to as possible? It's one of the areas that I'm still not sure what I'm looking at. Thx.

900x900px-LL-e7231a3b_60393_2_dec_11.jpeg

Sorry for the blurry photo. One of the Large Darks we used to breed, with good wing carriage. The SOP says on wing carriage, and I quote,"carried rather high, with lower line nearly horizontal". I think the words "nearly horizontal" are key. If the lower line is horizontal the wings will naturally be carried high.

Tim

Last edited:
I might add, the Light male TBC posted has good wing carriage. Typically wing carriage is not a problem in the big birds. Bantams are a different story.

I might add, the Light male TBC posted has good wing carriage. Typically wing carriage is not a problem in the big birds. Bantams are a different story.
Thanks Tim. It is the one part of the SOP (I borrowed one for a week, mine should be here soon) that I just wasn't very clear on. I think that when I read it, I concentrated on the "carried rather high" part and completely missed the horizontal part. The pictures helped a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tim, any advice when I start hatching the Gen 1 offspring? Anything to watch for at hatch or just wait for maturity?

Just let them grow. As you well know, the big birds are very slow to mature. I would not cull a chick for anything other than an obvious deformity or such. There is an article by Larry Peterson in the 2010 ABC handbook called "Culling & Sorting Your Recent Hatch". In that article he states:" a standard Brahma will take two full years to reach maturity,". Certainly you do not have to wait two full years to cull.....it just takes patience to see exactly what you have. With experience you will begin to identify good birds at an earlier age. Conversely, these are some of the reasons I breed Bantams. They mature quickly.....pullets are prime for show at 5-6 months, cockerels at 7 or so. They eat WAY less feed. They can be culled at a much younger age obviously, AND they require much less space. I appreciate everyone commited to the BIG birds. They certainly need to be preserved. Bantams are an excellent alternative for those with less space and a more meager budget. Keep up the GOOD work TBC!

Tim

Just let them grow. As you well know, the big birds are very slow to mature. I would not cull a chick for anything other than an obvious deformity or such. There is an article by Larry Peterson in the 2010 ABC handbook called "Culling & Sorting Your Recent Hatch". In that article he states:" a standard Brahma will take two full years to reach maturity,". Certainly you do not have to wait two full years to cull.....it just takes patience to see exactly what you have. With experience you will begin to identify good birds at an earlier age. Conversely, these are some of the reasons I breed Bantams. They mature quickly.....pullets are prime for show at 5-6 months, cockerels at 7 or so. They eat WAY less feed. They can be culled at a much younger age obviously, AND they require much less space. I appreciate everyone commited to the BIG birds. They certainly need to be preserved. Bantams are an excellent alternative for those with less space and a more meager budget. Keep up the GOOD work TBC!

Tim
Tim, did you go to Houston in January?

Back
Top Bottom