Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
I am having a suspected possum problem right now in my 2 Juvenile pens they have 12 foot walls inside the barn but no ceiling and I have lost 6 Juveniles. So tonight we are putting in a ceiling. Should have done it a long time ago.

I know this is off topic. But I wanted to explain why I won't be on for a while. All of my chickens are dead except for the ones in the brooder. I left a door open last night, and something (I suspect raccoon) got in and killed them all. I am absolutely devastated and don't know what I am going to do for now. I've worked so hard. Signing off.

That is terrible! I am so sorry for your loss! :(

One of the most important things to do daily is ....lock up at night....I get out of my lazyboy no matter what, and go close doors...it's the only way to avoid the predators after dark....and worth the effort.

bigz
I closed up, just forgot one door to the rooster pens. Don't know how I forgot it. Usually I make a second check right before bed, but I was so tired last night I fell asleep in the recliner. It is truly all my fault, I don't know how I forgot to check that door (it is on the other side of the condo). The good news is that I found one hen still alive and one 6 week old still alive, both partridge LF. 5 hours later, they are still hanging in there. I just keep imagining the terror inside the coop when this was going on, they were all locked in and couldn't get out. My pens are all fenced in behind electric fencing and electric poultry netting, both are now all in a tangled mess, looks like one of the raccoons got caught in it. It was working yesterday, so I'm not sure how they got through it. They got into the one rooster pen and then tore the coops apart to get to all of the rest of the coops.

Anyway, traps going out tonight and maybe I'll just sit by the coop with the shotgun all night.

So, starting over. Have 10 chicks in the brooder and 30 eggs in the incubator. The chicks in the brooder were only saved because I ran out of room for them in the condo and had them in the house. I should be getting some more LF darks (eggs) this week or next week. Won't be having any bantams this year though, I think John is done with eggs for the spring but I'll check with him and see if I can't get some more from him. I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now, but I suppose it could have been worse. It could have been fall and then I truly would have lost everything.

Kim

Hang in there. I think we have all been through predator attacks. Just part of it. Coons are smart and have little hands like us. I shot one right in the face with my .410 back early Fall. He had pulled a cockerel's wing through a very small opening. He was eating the wing with the freaking out K on the other side of the wire. Still have the K, hes a cockbird now. Really sorry for you though. Lesson learned.

Tim

Hang in there. I think we have all been through predator attacks. Just part of it. Coons are smart and have little hands like us. I shot one right in the face with my .410 back early Fall. He had pulled a cockerel's wing through a very small opening. He was eating the wing with the freaking out K on the other side of the wire. Still have the K, hes a cockbird now. Really sorry for you though. Lesson learned.

Tim
Thanks Tim. Yeah, lesson learned. I've lost the occasional bird to predators too. This time was just pretty shocking to me.

I closed up, just forgot one door to the rooster pens. Don't know how I forgot it. Usually I make a second check right before bed, but I was so tired last night I fell asleep in the recliner. It is truly all my fault, I don't know how I forgot to check that door (it is on the other side of the condo). The good news is that I found one hen still alive and one 6 week old still alive, both partridge LF. 5 hours later, they are still hanging in there. I just keep imagining the terror inside the coop when this was going on, they were all locked in and couldn't get out. My pens are all fenced in behind electric fencing and electric poultry netting, both are now all in a tangled mess, looks like one of the raccoons got caught in it. It was working yesterday, so I'm not sure how they got through it. They got into the one rooster pen and then tore the coops apart to get to all of the rest of the coops.

Anyway, traps going out tonight and maybe I'll just sit by the coop with the shotgun all night.

So, starting over. Have 10 chicks in the brooder and 30 eggs in the incubator. The chicks in the brooder were only saved because I ran out of room for them in the condo and had them in the house. I should be getting some more LF darks (eggs) this week or next week. Won't be having any bantams this year though, I think John is done with eggs for the spring but I'll check with him and see if I can't get some more from him. I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now, but I suppose it could have been worse. It could have been fall and then I truly would have lost everything.

Kim
Sorry about your flock. I lost nearly all my flock a few years ago and it is very frustrating to go through. Sounds like you are on your way to a good start. Don't be too hard on yourself.
hugs.gif

I'm just starting my flock - any pointers are welcome. A friend of mine breeds brahmas and they are beautiful! She gave me some eggs to hatch, so now I have 17 brahma babies, along with a few other breeds. My favorite so far is Abner (I suspect Abnerette, or Abby) who hatched from a blue silver penciled egg. He/she looks dark blue so far, and has the best personality!

Also, about predators, any problems with weasels or rats? I think the only thing that might get into my coop would be something small like that, that could squeeze into small holes.

Back
Top Bottom