Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
This is a really nice Pullet. From looking at her Brow I believe the head will get larger. If you plan on breeding her just pick one of your biggest headed males. Don
Thanks Don. I'll probably breed her next spring. I've got a really nice big headed male just waiting for her! Most of my other darks aren't nearly as refined looking as she is, but they come from different lines. I really can't wait to see how she matures.

I'm thinking that her head might be a tad on the small side, but she's young yet. Most of the time I notice that the heads are nice until about 4 months, then the body catches up and overcomes the head and then at about a year old the head matures. We'll see. I like her topline and I wish she had a little less fluff on her thighs (don't we all wish that we had smaller thighs) but overall I like her look. Not too bad of a result for one of my first cracks at breeding to the standard, but I have to admit that she was part of a test hatch.
amen

I am so looking forward to getting some fertile Light Brahma eggs in a week :) Hopefully my hatch will go good. This will be my second attempt in using a incubator. 1st attempt wasn't so good, so hopefully the things that I had learned will make this attempt successful.

I am so looking forward to getting some fertile Light Brahma eggs in a week :) Hopefully my hatch will go good. This will be my second attempt in using a incubator. 1st attempt wasn't so good, so hopefully the things that I had learned will make this attempt successful.
I hope you have better luck this time!
fl.gif

I am trying to quote and can't seem to delete this post, so see the post below.

Last edited:
Hi folks!
I'm in Eastern Canada-- at the beginning of May I was able to locate and buy 14 Large fowl Buff Brahmas as chicks. This is huge, because they are reasonably rare on this coast, and I had never actually seen a standard, though I had a couple pairs of bantams.
While I've owned and bred different breeds for quite a few years- this is probably the project that I will have until the end of my days- I absolutely love these birds, everything about them.
I'm supremely lucky in that I have exactly 7 pairs, if I chose to keep or sell 7 pairs. We just built a building for them this weekend, and I'm considering pens, though I understand they mature far slower than other breeds I've worked with.
Now, I don't know whose lines these are, but this is the history- the young man I got them from had some nice standards that laid poorly- he countered that by adding hatchery stock which laid better, but weren't as large or as good conformation. So, he bought a couple of very nice and VERY large pullets from Ontario and they improved his stock overall. I can say for sure that I got some of those hen's chicks, as there are a few quite large birds in my batch, several males are really large compared to their hatch mates.

Ok, so here's my question- or 2 actually. At 10 weeks the cockerels are just getting their saddle feathers, and are giving me an idea of what they will look like. There are 2 pullets who are pretty clear of ticking or smut, but they are very pale compared to the other pullets. Like almost dilute- I would expect them to be blue buff if they were another breed, but they are buff.
The other pullets are deeper buff, but several have ticking towards their tails, and I understand that can be a problem to clear up. It is better than it was even 2-3 weeks ago, so perhaps they will clean up more yet?

While my interest isn't in exhibition- I want to only work towards SOP birds who are dual use. Pretty and practical. I'm a reasonably good judge once I see the finished bird, but I don't have the ability yet to look at a chick and think how it will look when it's grown.
In regards to colour- should I be breeding the pale pullets to the deepest darkest male? Cleanest patterned birds to each other and what to do with the slightly messier ones? (Stew pot, I know I know...)
Thanks very much
Anyone care to comment?
This is a serious project for me, I'll be happy to provide pictures of my Brahmas as they are growing out now.
Thanks

Anyone care to comment?
This is a serious project for me, I'll be happy to provide pictures of my Brahmas as they are growing out now.
Thanks

So here are most of my Buffs. Standards. As you can see, there is some smut in their patterns, but I really want to see what they will look like in a few months time- hopefully the smut in the tail areas will lessen. You can see the 2 pale pullets, one has cleaned up pretty well. Now for conformation, as they are growing and so different from any breed I've had- all I know right now is they mostly have a furrowed brow area, all the feet and legs are correct colour and feathers, no missing nails or curled toes.

Back
Top Bottom