Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Not convinced. It has no pointed saddle feathers. The rounded laced tail coverts also scream "female". Horrible color. Squirrel tail. Top line is just WAY off. If you are truly interested in breeding standard bred poultry......eat this one.

Glad to hear you think she is a female! I'd rather have her for straight egg production. What does "squirrel tail" mean and why is her color "horrible"? Not offended, just want to understand the breed better.

Thanks!

Your light brahma looks like a couple of my dark brahma girls, well except the color. 2 of mine are hatchery bred. They aren't up to standards for show. I know mine have the crazy tail also. I have 2 that are really pretty that aren't quite show quality but are better looking. They don't have the crazy tail like my other 2 do. I'll try to post some pics of them. I'm not going for show quality, but I am going for good looking, and size. Mine are going to be used for eggs, and meat once the boys get up to size and I can decide which one to keep. I really like this breed. I might look at getting some lights, and buffs. They may take longer to get up to size, and mature but I haven't had any real problems with them. None of them have tried to attack me or my 2 young boys, or been little boogers really. Yes they've been having a bit of dominance bickering after I separated the girls from the boys but nothing too serious.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you think she is a female! I'd rather have her for straight egg production. What does "squirrel tail" mean and why is her color "horrible"? Not offended, just want to understand the breed better.

Thanks!

All those things are addressed in the Standard. If you are serious about raising standard bred poultry, that should be your first purchase. Full of facts, no second, third or fourth hand opinions.

Where can I find a copy of the breed standard? I would like to see how mine compare to it. I know they won't really be close because they're hatchery chick's but I still would like to see.

American Poultry Association. Most poultry supply companies. I think most hatcheries sell it. Around fifty bucks. Get the most current issue. 2010 for APA, 2014 for ABA.

Lori, female lights are supposed to be clean white in the cushion area. The Brahma back is supposed to be a gradual incline. The back and tail are supposed to be on the same degree of incline. Squirrel tail means pretty much what it implies. Imagine how a squirrel holds it's tail- kind of strait up leaning forward, like a Japanese bantam. Look at the light female in my avatar. That is a gradual incline. That is a correct top-line for a Brahma female. Look back through this thread, there is a lot of good info and photos back towards the beginning.

Tim

American Poultry Association. Most poultry supply companies. I think most hatcheries sell it. Around fifty bucks. Get the most current issue. 2010 for APA, 2014 for ABA.

Lori, female lights are supposed to be clean white in the cushion area. The Brahma back is supposed to be a gradual incline. The back and tail are supposed to be on the same degree of incline. Squirrel tail means pretty much what it implies. Imagine how a squirrel holds it's tail- kind of strait up  leaning forward, like a Japanese bantam. Look at the light female in my avatar. That is a gradual incline. That is a correct top-line for a Brahma female. Look back through this thread, there is a lot of good info and photos back towards the beginning.

Tim

Thank you... That makes sense. The SOP is on my Christmas list for this year. Until then this helps me to understand. :)

Anyone else trying their hand at some non standard colors? I have Gold Laced, BBS, Blue Partridge & am starting a project pen of (hopefully) Blue Laced Red. I would really love some Silver Laced & Buff Laced, but can't seem to find a good breeder. Maybe I will just have to make them myself. :)
I'm currently working on Lemon "pyles". I'm interested in Isabelles and lavender laced possibly.

Just a heads up for any brahma seekers in the UK, we came across this guy selling "his creation" of buff laced Brahmas. His photos are actually Dan Powell's, and his ad is copied off of Dan's webpage. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321837489506
He has other listings using fake photos as well, just want to warn people!

Not sure about the photos, but the foundation breeds this guy lists is somewhat different than Dan's, which I believe included Cornish and Amercauna. We both laid out how we created our laced Brahmas in our individual projects, easy enough for anybody to try to reproduce. http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=29277&page=1

Last edited:
We found every single photo he used for this listing to be from byc threads or Dan's webpage and the writing is directly copied out of a thread post here at byc. Also, we've checked his the other listings and found the photos for them also to be stolen from others. At the very least, we just wanted to make sure people were aware that these photos are not of his stock.

Back
Top Bottom