Brahma Breeders thread

Hello!
We just picked up a Braham rooster that we found on craigslist and I love him! He's gorgeous. We live in city limits so I actually bring him into the garage each night so he doesn't wake the neighbors first thing in the morning. My only question (I did post this on another thread before I found this "Brahama" thread....), so he was left in a cage separate from the flock because the previous owner already had a rooster. When I brought him home, he ran right up to my hens and literally chased them all over the yard to mate. I thought maybe it was because he was really excited and that he would settle down but he still does it (its only been 3 days). He hangs out with them no problem but when it comes to mating, this guy is rough. And when he's done he will just stand on the chicken for a few seconds... it kind of irks me. Is this just his personality or is he going to calm down over time? I thought brahma's were more gentle than most breeds being the reason I picked him out.

Gentle with people yes but when it comes to mating they can be pretty brutal. Mine was really rough though he didn't mean to be. He was just so huge and his feet are so massive and most of my hens are smallish so I had to give him to a more sutiable flock (with 30 hens that he is servicing very well).

I think I may have to end up doing the same.. It's a shame because he is beautiful and doesn't crow a lot which I like but my hens are average size and this guy will tear them up in no time at this pace. Thanks for replying!

Hello! I'm raising Blue Partridge Brahmas right now and have a few questions on the coloring. I'm breeding them next spring and would love to hear insights on the colors and patterns my babies have right now.

Kalani is one of my pullets. She has a lot more red then the other pullet, and I think it's called red pyle with brahmas?

Asuka is my bigger girl, but looks more like the type of Blue Partridge Brahma that I see when I research pictures of them. I know that blue doesn't breed true or something like that in chickens? I think I read that I would have to breed a splash to a blue in order to get all blue babies.

Last but not least, my boy Montana also has a lot of red, with more of a defined light blue slate neck. For breeding purposes, what characteristics should I breed out, and what ones do I want to keep? And how would I breed the offspring back to the parents or something like that to get purebreds (I know it's incest lol but how do breeders do it?). Thank you!

Hello! I'm raising Blue Partridge Brahmas right now and have a few questions on the coloring. I'm breeding them next spring and would love to hear insights on the colors and patterns my babies have right now. Kalani is one of my pullets. She has a lot more red then the other pullet, and I think it's called red pyle with brahmas? Asuka is my bigger girl, but looks more like the type of Blue Partridge Brahma that I see when I research pictures of them. I know that blue doesn't breed true or something like that in chickens? I think I read that I would have to breed a splash to a blue in order to get all blue babies. Last but not least, my boy Montana also has a lot of red, with more of a defined light blue slate neck. For breeding purposes, what characteristics should I breed out, and what ones do I want to keep? And how would I breed the offspring back to the parents or something like that to get purebreds (I know it's incest lol but how do breeders do it?). Thank you!
I can't help you with the variety as I breed only buff, but characteristics of the brahma are most important remember you still want the brahma type. No point in having a blue partridge brahma if it doesn't look like a brahma. Blue breeding. Blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue & 25% splash. Black x splash = 100% blue Black x blue = 50% black & 50% blue Breeding pens: I create two breeding pens.pen 1 Breed mothers to sons and pen 2 fathers to daughters. Or pen A & pen B. Best females of A stay in pen A, best females of B stay in pen B. Then take your best cockerel from A move him to B for breeding. Take best cockerel from B and move him to A for breeding. This will prevent breeding a of brother to sisters.

Hello! I'm raising Blue Partridge Brahmas right now and have a few questions on the coloring. I'm breeding them next spring and would love to hear insights on the colors and patterns my babies have right now.

Kalani is one of my pullets. She has a lot more red then the other pullet, and I think it's called red pyle with brahmas?

Asuka is my bigger girl, but looks more like the type of Blue Partridge Brahma that I see when I research pictures of them. I know that blue doesn't breed true or something like that in chickens? I think I read that I would have to breed a splash to a blue in order to get all blue babies.

Last but not least, my boy Montana also has a lot of red, with more of a defined light blue slate neck. For breeding purposes, what characteristics should I breed out, and what ones do I want to keep? And how would I breed the offspring back to the parents or something like that to get purebreds (I know it's incest lol but how do breeders do it?). Thank you!

I hate to say it but do not plan on getting eggs from Kalani

@curious chickee Thank you so much that was very helpful, especially the breeding set up!

And @snowbird does she have to much red in her? Possible rooster?

Last edited:
I can't help you with the variety as I breed only buff, but characteristics of the brahma are most important remember you still want the brahma type. No point in having a blue partridge brahma if it doesn't look like a brahma.

Blue breeding. Blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue & 25% splash.
Black x splash = 100% blue
Black x blue = 50% black & 50% blue

Breeding pens: I create two breeding pens.pen 1 Breed mothers to sons and pen 2 fathers to daughters. Or pen A & pen B. Best females of A stay in pen A, best females of B stay in pen B. Then take your best cockerel from A move him to B for breeding. Take best cockerel from B and move him to A for breeding. This will prevent breeding a of brother to sisters.
I would just like to elaborate on the last part here. If anyone plans on breeding for awhile without new stock being added you'd probably want at least three or four pens of each variety/breed. Keeps the genetics nicely mixed up for longer.

Back
Top Bottom