Brahma Breeders thread

Regardless how tough a bird is, chickens can't see worth beans in the dark. They either sit there or flap to the ground where they then sit, but not much else. Until your pen is predator proofed, the results will be the same, regardless of how big brahmas get.

Remember Brahmas are big. The main things I've had problems with were juvenile hawks, and an owl. A motion light got rid of the owl, and the hawk I finally got to leave because I was going out and chasing it off. I don't know how they'll fair with other wildlife. I would try to make the coop as secure as you can. Hardware cloth across vents, door that shuts, hotwire, skirt with hotwire. Cats that think of the chickens as part of their pride and to be protected, dogs that think they're part of the pack and to be protected. Motion lights. I had 1 feral cat around and my 4 outdoor cats got rid of him. He tried going after 1 of the chickens and the chickens are part of these 4 cats pride. They don't take kindly to other animals having a go at their pride members. My dog even chased him and he's been raised around cats, so they're part of the pack. The chickens are part of the pack. He's a big goofy Lab. We've had chickens since he was about 6 months. I will turn on the radio if I hear the coyotes coming close. They're more interested in the rabbits, so I usually don't have a problem with them. Plus I've shot some in the butt with pellets so they try to stay away now.

I love my brahmas. They're so nice compared to other breeds I've been around because they're docile. 1 question are these hatchery chicks? If so then they're bred for laying. I had some a couple years ago and still have 1 hen. The cockerels were jerks. My well bred rooster is a sweetheart. I have 14 heritage bred ones and 1 haychery bred. They they good medium sized brown eggs, will go broody if you let them, and are awesome mommas. I haven't had any problems with adding to the flock. Yes they are BIG chickens. They're slow to mature. My last hatching was September 1, 2016 and the cockerel still isn't up to size to process, and the pullets won't start laying until May/June time frame. Usually around 9 to 10 months of age. They love mud. They love compost heaps, they love making a mess of both lol. I've had this flock for over a year and still love them. They give me enough eggs to cook with, supply some of my family, and still raise a clutch or 2. I let 2 hens raise some last year and the youngest are still doing great. I did lose 1 to a hawk last year, but the rest are doing great. Don't put their roosts above knee level because once they get big it's harder for them to get up on them. Also after about 5 6 months they don't fly. They're just too big. I love mine. I walk out of the house and they come running to see if I have any goodies for them.
I found out on the sly.
I have a strategy in which I talk very fast and jump from topic to topic, then circle around again with question the listener feels rteally happy to answer, in a different order than the topics were introduced. Then just when the listener is happening with their pleasure and answers, I toss in the question that if asked directly would get me only the runaround.
I spoke Saturday morning by phone at 8:03 a.m. with one of the co-owners of the shop.
The operant question for me was: "Where/who is your source". So I did my fa la la dance and then said, oh yeah, you all order from Meyers, right? Yes that's where, how did you know? Oh I check availabilities on so many hatchery sites, just had the thought for the breeds you have in right now...which is just GREAT! bcs you all take care of the shipping and associated stress--I'm just not cut out for that--and your mark up is very reasonable, so thanks. I think you're doing a great job!
Meyer hatchery.

When I asked them to plz find and order me one male per breed I purchased (11 chicks within 2 days), 3 breeds, they said, well we're charged extra. I said I know and I really appreciate that you're doing this for me. You all are going to be my source for everything I need. I already shop here for everything, you know...haha.

In that I have 5 Brahma chicks, out of which I do suspect and intentionally picked one that looks different from the others, I may have a Brahma cockerel. I won't be insulted if I "Have to" look at a 2nd one, not at all in the slightest!
Since I'm looking to accomplish a couple of things: Thing one is Brahma to Brahma breeding next year and the other is keeping the right, or close to it, proportions of roo-hen, I will be selecting aasome of my non-Brahma now-pullets who will be hens then to add to either the 1 will-be-roo or the "surprise roo" and the ordered roo, I'd like to ask about compatibility with other breeds.
I have many silkies. I am also guessing the breeding (for the pullet or hen) would be rather awkward if not cookoo dangerous. I am blessed with 3 silkie pullets that have inherited their dad's size with their mom's sweetness (dad is sweet too but I'm addressing sizes).
I wish I had a scale to weigh these girls. I guess that goes on my to do list. What kind of scale is best?
I have a share of fairly full-bodied pullet/hens.
I want to match temperment and also color and appearance potential.
Ideas:
Australorp (or austra mix but likely pure bcs she's from a local farm). Sparkle is calm and tolerant of others' antics including the boys. She is full, not Big per se but full. (I have yet to research the genetics of Brahmas and when I do I'll know better what potentials exist). OR anyone can speak up with it, plz!
I have the silkie (very large for her breed, Chula. She blue-grey with a touch of partridge in her hackle. Beautiful bird!
I have both Peaches and Marigold, bright yellow who will become golden with age as their dad. I don't yet "get" that color combo but a feathered foot half silkie half Brahma at least sounds interesting...
I will be keeping one of them with silkie male/s so as to keep the yellow-gold silkie movie happening.
Two buffs of round stature...but why make that make sense when the silkies are visually and tempermentally more consistent.
As I think of more possible additions to the Brahma ladies dating club plus research genetics of both breeds I'll ask more questions.
Plz always feel free to p.m. me if I'm too verbose on this thread, or to answer any unsolicited questions with solicited advice.
I hope everyone had a wonderful and fun weekend.

Regardless how tough a bird is, chickens can't see worth beans in the dark. They either sit there or flap to the ground where they then sit, but not much else. Until your pen is predator proofed, the results will be the same, regardless of how big brahmas get.
Thank you and I agree fully. Right now the lighted I've had run to the area has stopped the attacks. I will not repopulate until I also have the hot-wire installed. I am lucky to have a friend that is an electrician so there's help to be had soon.

Just remember the hatchery brahmas are not APA standard. That's what I started with in this breed. I love Madea who's my last hatchery hen out of the 6 I originally got. I processed a couple of the cockerels, and some just weren't healthy. All the rest of mine are from show lines and jave been bred to APA standards. They're all healthy and big. Comparing Madea to all my other hens and pullets she's small. She's just now at almost 3 finally starting to fill out. She also doesn't have the beatle brow. My others do. Madea is from Privet Hatchery here in NM. Yes they can weather the heat. I do have to make sure they have plenty of cool water, mud holes and shade. And yes they love mud. I have to be careful their mud holes aren't near any tree, or plant roots lol. I'm working on getting more shade plants going for them soon. I have a lot of yellow Mexican Bird of Paradise seeds I'm going to plant and fence off until their big enough for my flock not to destroy. I wouldn't have any other breed (well except Naked Necks) than Brahmas. My hatchery ones were mean compared to the breeder lines because they breed for egg production and not temperament, size, and APA standard. They take forever to mature. I have 4 pullets that are just getting ready to start laying and Katie hatched them last September 1st. They also love digging holes for dust baths. I thought I had lost 1 the other day, but nope she was just laying down in one of their dust bath holes lol. She hopped right out and over to me like nothing was wrong. So be prepared. They're curious about everything you do around them too. I was making a pen for ducklings in the chicken yard and all 15 of mine were right there supervising, and getting in the way lol. After I put the 2 1 month old ducklings in there they were all over there checking them out. The ducklings are going to become part of the flock so I want them all integrated, and safe when I'm ready to release the ducklings. They even supervise the water guy when he comes by to check the meter lol. They aren't bothered by much.

I have ordered 5 Brahma pullets and 1 rooster along with 5 standard Cochin pullets and 1 rooster from our local feed store. Does anyone have a picture of a brahma and a Cochin together side by side?

I have ordered 5 Brahma pullets and 1 rooster along with 5 standard Cochin pullets and 1 rooster from our local feed store. Does anyone have a picture of a brahma and a Cochin together side by side?
Feed store chickens will not meet the standards of Exhibition birds. I have found the hatchery birds to be normal size not much bigger than a rhode island red. The main difference will be the comb, they body types are otherwise similar from hatcheries. Hatcheries breed for quantity not quality. They will still be beautiful and lay probably better than their exhibition cousins.

Quote:
Yes, I know this. I purchased them more for temperament than size. There aren't any breeders that I know of in my area anyway, so I have to rely on hatchery's to get the breeds that I want. I just wanted to see a comparison more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom