Brahmas

my light brahma isn't anywhere near that big... I mean, she's big compared to my SS, BR, EE etc... but the buff brahma right behind her is about the same size.
Resized_20171112_103001.jpeg

I had a group of BrahmaXs that were HUGE. We did measure several of the in-between sized roosters at 12 -14 lbs. Not sure how much more the largest was or the smallest - I only caught the few that were easily handled.

15oct9chix120242.jpg 15oct9chix121657.jpg 15oct18chix141221.jpg

The pony in the background is a mature Shetland standing 40" tall and weighing between 375-425#.

I was so angry/sad when 2 days before some friends were scheduled in December to come help us process the 11 roosters the whole flock of 22 were decimated by marauding (owned/domestic) dogs that were obviously starving (when we caught one about 3 weeks after original deaths - he was digging under the gate at the front of the pasture - during the day & I was home)... The saddest was they didn't seem to know how to eat the birds - they just terrorized and killed them (lots of broken necks, couple no outward signs think literally scared to death, 3 were eviscerated & partially eaten... :( ). No we didn't have GLDs and we still don't. Not sure if we will do that investment in the future or not. For now, the birds don't free range in the 7 acre pasture. Eventually will have more electric netting that will go around areas that we can free range the birds in - w/i the 7 acre perimeter fencing.

The breed standards for Brahmas are BIG birds compared to others. Hatchery birds seem to be smaller and/or have a lot more variance in sizes/types. Someday, I want to have Brahmas again but it may be a while...

I had a group of BrahmaXs that were HUGE. We did measure several of the in-between sized roosters at 12 -14 lbs. Not sure how much more the largest was or the smallest - I only caught the few that were easily handled.

View attachment 1284224 View attachment 1284225 View attachment 1284226

The pony in the background is a mature Shetland standing 40" tall and weighing between 375-425#.

I was so angry/sad when 2 days before some friends were scheduled in December to come help us process the 11 roosters the whole flock of 22 were decimated by marauding (owned/domestic) dogs that were obviously starving (when we caught one about 3 weeks after original deaths - he was digging under the gate at the front of the pasture - during the day & I was home)... The saddest was they didn't seem to know how to eat the birds - they just terrorized and killed them (lots of broken necks, couple no outward signs think literally scared to death, 3 were eviscerated & partially eaten... :( ). No we didn't have GLDs and we still don't. Not sure if we will do that investment in the future or not. For now, the birds don't free range in the 7 acre pasture. Eventually will have more electric netting that will go around areas that we can free range the birds in - w/i the 7 acre perimeter fencing.

The breed standards for Brahmas are BIG birds compared to others. Hatchery birds seem to be smaller and/or have a lot more variance in sizes/types. Someday, I want to have Brahmas again but it may be a while...
Jeez!! I'd be scared of those!

Back
Top Bottom