Breda Fowl thread

I was pooping. On the toilet. Like a normal person.
I need stuff to read. So I grab the nearest lame-ass stuff that was forced in my mailbox; which in my country is in your frontdoor next to your toilet. So that's easy to grab.

The free-noone-wants Breda-neighbourhood-sad-newspaper that they put in your mailbox anyway.. which is about boring stuff about Breda.. some dude started a hotdogstand yada yada yada snore.. HAD an article. THAT the Breda fowl club has stopped because there is no interest anymore, in Breda, for, Breda fowl. They tried for years. It is not hip with young people. They tried to get Breda fowl on the menu of fancy local 5 star restaurants.. since they are local and such.. an even THAT did not work. So they stopped after years pulling at a dead horse.

There are serious breeders in Breda; and apparently people in the U.S. that are the only ones keeping it alive. The serious breeders over here are not internet savvy; and can not speak English. They themselves are a dieing breed... (Breda fowl breeder under 75... they do not excist here). But there must be a way.. to.. get Breda fowl in Breda again. They are loved and cared and bred in the U.S. by a lot of lovely people. But it would be weird if you ever visit Breda as an Breda fowl lover; and there are none. Like visiting Italy and you can't find a pizza place because they are gone and do sushi now...

Is there a way that I could connect U.S. Breda breeders; with local Breda breeders from Breda? I can speak English. It's a bit sad that so many people over here with love and passion try to breed the local chickens; but people just don't care anymore.. but in U.S they do..

There must be a way
That is very sad news...:( Is that the BKU club that you speak of? I would like to join but cannot speak Dutch. I know that there is a 'translate' app on the computer somewhere - maybe I can find it.
I also enjoy reading the Aviculture mag that is published in the Netherlands.
Dutch Connection farm is run by a Dutch lady, I don't know if she has ant contacts in Holland or not.
The Breda is not officially recognized here in the US as it is rare and we do not have a set standard - maybe this is something we should work towards? @chickendanz
Certainly our birds are loved, but I have to say none of mine are 'show' quality - that's ok by me, but they would not be accepted to shows.
I would love to talk with a Dutch Breda breeder...you are right - there must be a way!

I was pooping. On the toilet. Like a normal person.
I need stuff to read. So I grab the nearest lame-ass stuff that was forced in my mailbox; which in my country is in your frontdoor next to your toilet. So that's easy to grab.

The free-noone-wants Breda-neighbourhood-sad-newspaper that they put in your mailbox anyway.. which is about boring stuff about Breda.. some dude started a hotdogstand yada yada yada snore.. HAD an article. THAT the Breda fowl club has stopped because there is no interest anymore, in Breda, for, Breda fowl. They tried for years. It is not hip with young people. They tried to get Breda fowl on the menu of fancy local 5 star restaurants.. since they are local and such.. an even THAT did not work. So they stopped after years pulling at a dead horse.

There are serious breeders in Breda; and apparently people in the U.S. that are the only ones keeping it alive. The serious breeders over here are not internet savvy; and can not speak English. They themselves are a dieing breed... (Breda fowl breeder under 75... they do not excist here). But there must be a way.. to.. get Breda fowl in Breda again. They are loved and cared and bred in the U.S. by a lot of lovely people. But it would be weird if you ever visit Breda as an Breda fowl lover; and there are none. Like visiting Italy and you can't find a pizza place because they are gone and do sushi now...

Is there a way that I could connect U.S. Breda breeders; with local Breda breeders from Breda? I can speak English. It's a bit sad that so many people over here with love and passion try to breed the local chickens; but people just don't care anymore.. but in U.S they do..

There must be a way
That is very sad to read - are you talking about the BKU club? I would love to join but I don't speak Dutch. I know there is a translation app on the computer somewhere...
I also enjoy reading the Aviculture magazine that is published in the Netherlands (online in English).
The Breda in the US is not a recognized breed as we have no set standard. Perhaps this is something we should work on..
I have several Bredas - black, blue and mottled but sadly none are exhibition standard - that doesn't bother me but the gene pool here in the US is very shallow and excellent quality birds are hard to come by :(
I know that Dutch Connection Farm here in the US is run by a Dutch lady...perhaps you should contact her too.

Well, the 1st hatches are now 1 month old - what a difference! They are eating like mad and growing fast. All boys I think but lovable. As you can see the blue Breda hen was a bit of a naughty girl and must have dallied with the Welsummer rooster.... as all the blues have combs of some sort...
The 2nd batch of chicks are now 2 weeks old and doing well, both girls I think (hope)

Attachments

• DSCN0063.JPG
    DSCN0063.JPG
    620.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN0076.JPG
    DSCN0076.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0077.JPG
    DSCN0077.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0079.JPG
    DSCN0079.JPG
    707.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN0071.JPG
    DSCN0071.JPG
    517.5 KB · Views: 3
@boskelli1571

Oh me, oh my! Me wants more Breda !!!

BTW -- if your blue hen dallied w/ a Wellie roo, wouldn't the chicks have mixed color feathers? I would think some would come out clean legged too?

Such cute chicks!!!!

@boskelli1571

Oh me, oh my! Me wants more Breda !!!

BTW -- if your blue hen dallied w/ a Wellie roo, wouldn't the chicks have mixed color feathers? I would think some would come out clean legged too?

Such cute chicks!!!!
That's certainly a thought, if so, the combs are a throwback from her ancestry....but I have spotted her with the Wellie :rolleyes:.
Who knows? They are cute little mutts, very friendly...hopefully hormones won't change that too much.
I was hoping for a few more girls, but the 4 I shipped to Florida I think were 2 girls and 2 boys. Such is like - the next extra girls I have one is yours Syl :)

I want a Blue from chicken danz too! Her cross-breeding to improve hardiness has GOT to be a great plus for this fabulous breed! Hopefully in chicken danz' project the sweet temperament crosses over as well! I feel so sorry for my Cuckoo Breda not having her own breed companions. My two Dominique girls are always toodling together but my lone Silkie and lone Breda are ducks out-of-water so to speak.

Alike breeds really do need same-breed companions. My little Silkie misses her Silkie companion but has found some protection and comfort around the Dom girls who submit to her but the Breda is so spooky around the Doms that they'll chase her because she runs from them. She's afraid of everything except the Blue pullet I got from chicken danz a couple years ago. My Cuckoo was so very interested in making an acquaintance with the new Blue pullet but I lost the Blue without ever introducing her into the flock. This photo is as close as the Cuckoo and Blue ever got to each other. They were very relaxed with each other at first sight and I know my Cuckoo really wanted to join with the Blue but it never was to happen.
DSCN8190.JPG
DSCN8193.JPG

Turned my girls loose in the raised garden beds -- the vines will be dying off soon -- the best harvesting is done -- just getting deformed end-of-season fruit so the girls will love dwelling in the shady leaves and moist soil.

Dominique hen
DSCN7662.JPG

Cuckoo Breda left front ccrner
DSCN7670.JPG

Lone Partridge Silkie hen - 9 yrs old
DSCN7679.JPG

Finally got my Redwood garden bridge over the drainage channel between the two Pomegranate trees!
DSCN7683.JPG

The old plank between the trees just wasn't working
DSCN7469.JPG

Usually my Cuckoo Breda loves to pose for photos but she was having too much fun in the garden beds!
DSCN7688.JPG
DSCN7689.JPG

Dominique hen lounging in the dead cucumber bed!
DSCN7691.JPG

Southern California brush fire season -- this is a couple miles behind us in the mountain -- I used to live where this fire is but got tired of fire seasons and moved away!
DSCN7692.JPG
DSCN7698.JPG

Usually my Cuckoo Breda loves to pose for photos but she was having too much fun in the garden beds!
View attachment 2289254View attachment 2289255

Dominique hen lounging in the dead cucumber bed!
View attachment 2289256

Southern California brush fire season -- this is a couple miles behind us in the mountain -- I used to live where this fire is but got tired of fire seasons and moved away!
View attachment 2289257View attachment 2289258
Stay safe from those fires Syl! Your girls look very happy and your yard is looking great :)

Back
Top Bottom