Breda Fowl thread

Pics
I have Bredas from 2 different breeders. The eggs I set were white. The eggs that they lay are cream, lighter than brown but not as white as I expected. Can they be affected by diet?

Real Breda lay white eggs. :)

I have around 50 hens in production, have never seen anything but a bright white egg from pullets to older hens. :)

Doc

To warbirds - thx for the report on your egg color. However, it makes me nervous that some Breda owners are reporting cream color. Something isn't right? May I ask your stock's origin?

Yep my 4 hens are each laying a white egg each every day but since we don't have a rooster we are eating them.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

To crazypetlady - a white/white egg or off-white?

I have Bredas from 2 different breeders. The eggs I set were white. The eggs that they lay are cream, lighter than brown but not as white as I expected. Can they be affected by diet?

To Flaming Chicken - that's what puzzles me is why some owners say white/white egg production and some report off-white for their Breda? I'm impressed w/ the Breda size and temperament but I don't need another off-white or cream layer. What I've researched says Breda lay white eggs but white to one person can be identified as off-white by another. I mean, a White Leghorn definitely lays a blinding snow white/white egg. Is the Breda not a snow white egg but really an off-white that owners are identifying as "white"? Just wondering what everyone's interpretation is of "white." To me "white" is the matte white like a Leghorn egg.

The 3 eggs I have gotten from my pullets (GreenFire Farm) have been eggshell. That's not being a smart @$$. Like the paint color, "egg shell." I would call the eggs white, but if put next to a leghorn egg they would not be the same color.

The 3 eggs I have gotten from my pullets (GreenFire Farm) have been eggshell. That's not being a smart @$$. Like the paint color, "egg shell." I would call the eggs white, but if put next to a leghorn egg they would not be the same color.

Thx gardengoats11 - that's exactly what I mean about interpretation of "white". I have one Silkie that lays a tinted pink and one that lays what looks like white - yet next to an actual white Leghorn egg it looks "off-white" to almost "cream" - so I REALLY appreciate your honest input about your Breda shells! Wonder if anyone else on this thread can add their interpretation of Breda "white" also. Flaming Chickens in the above post says they think something is wrong because their Breda are laying "cream" and not "white" like they expected.

I have both Breda Gueldre and White Leghorn that are laying so maybe I can help. Below are eggs collected Wednesday from a Breda pullet in her first laying season and a White Leghorn in her forth laying season.

Note: Commercial White Leghorns have the "white egg" gene that will block all brown egg pigments (even if the hen is carrying the genes for brown pigment). This tends to give the egg of Leghorns an almost florescent white. The Breda does not have the "white egg" gene and if they are carrying any genes for a brown bloom it will show on the shell. Some days the difference in color is enough that I can see a noticeably different color between the Breda eggs and the Leghorn eggs, but as shown most days (9 out of 10) the Breda egg is just as white as a Leghorn.

Note: The Breda egg was 63 grams, the Leghorn egg was quite small only coming in at 60 grams yesterday (they may be because the Breda free ranges about 30 hours a week and the Leghorn only about 5 hours a weeks).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom