Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Quote: I prefer not to give out my location, but I am located in the No. California area.
smile.png

I had to sell off 5 at 20 weeks & keep 1 pullet due to my small backyard flock (which sucked bc they were very high quality & no market here so sold at a loss) but anyway my pullet is about 23 weeks now & no eggs yet but from what I understand Breda are supposed to lay pure white eggs?

They lay white eggs.

Thx RhodeRunner - that was my first research that Breda layed white but some owners have been reporting less than white to cream to tinted.

Do u have Breda that lay what could be called white and not cream or tinted? I have enough cream, tinted, & pink/tan layers plus a blue layer currently & want a white layer.

I LOVE the Breda temperament as my flock is under 5-lb gentle birds & think Breda would be ideal - but gotta consider egg color before laying out the expense for ordering a shipped juvenile pullet. Thx - Smiles :)

I had to sell off 5 at 20 weeks & keep 1 pullet due to my small backyard flock (which sucked bc they were very high quality & no market here so sold at a loss) but anyway my pullet is about 23 weeks now & no eggs yet but from what I understand Breda are supposed to lay pure white eggs?
Thx dutchbunny83 - Smiles :)

Can u let me know what ur girl lays 4 u as 23 weeks is still too young 4 her to lay now. Wld appreciate ur color report. We have cream, pink, tan, & blue eggs now so a white/white layer wld be ideal. The Bredas r reported 2 be very gentle pullets so think she wld be great in r under-5-lb breed flock. From experience we will not make the mistake of mixing LF w/ gentle or lightweight LF again - had to re-home a dark egg 7-lb Marans because she was a bully to the gentle smaller breeds in r flock!

I got eggs from in the spring of 2012 from Green Fire Farms' pens 44, 45, 46, and "D" and egg from all four of those imported lines were white. The pullet that resulted from that hatch laid White Eggs at the end of 2012 and her daughter from a pairing with a cockerel from a different GFF pen than her also lays a white egg.

I have never got a tint egg. from the first egg at the begging of the laying cycle to end of the season the egg come out white.

Last edited:
We lost our Breda rooster during the "polar Vortex" we had -52 for 48 hours straight and the Breda fowl coop is the furthest from the house and we could not see that their heat lamp had gone out and the covers on their windows had blown off.

If anyone has a spare Breda rooster please let me know what you are asking for it. I would need it shipped to Indiana. If you happen to have any Breda pullets or hens for sale I would love a few more to go with my 4 girls.

Thank you

I believe (my thoughts from what I've read, not an expert on Breda), that a tinted egg could result from something else mixed in the blood line along the way.
Mine all hatched from pure white eggs.
I had 8 eggs, 6 hatched (3 boys, 3 girls) & I kept one pullet.
I don't expect eggs until late Spring, I will let you know what they get though.
I would assume it will match the eggs it hatched from as the breeder showed the parents.
But mine are just for fun, I don't do exhibition or breeding or anything, just a backyard hobby.

Real Breda lay white eggs. :)

I have around 50 hens in production, have never seen anything but a bright white egg from pullets to older hens. :)

Doc

Back
Top Bottom