Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Gender-- you have to grow them out

I had guesses early, but I went to 16 weeks to really be sure since it was my first time hatching Breda.
The boys will get wattles before the girls. By 12-16 weeks, they will be red and growing down more.
Also compared next to each other the boys will be a lot taller, the girls are more petite.

I don't know the age on yours pictured, but they both look like girls to me.

Last edited:
Really? Hm, we'll have to see how he/she develops. But, on the subject of that, how old can you tell the gender in Bredas? 

Well, it certainly doesn't look like any blues I have hatched, but I have gotten some mottled birds with unsmooth coloration. (It is a recessive that appears to be in many lines of blue/black/splash bredas.)

I can usually sex my Bredas as soon as they are fully feathered. Approximately five weeks. The makes have slightly different facial features, and already have descending wattles. Body structure is also different. Based on what I can seen in your photos, it looks like you have two pullets.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Thanks for your help.

SilkiesForEver - do Bredas lay white or tinted? I thought they layed white/white eggs but somewhere a blog said they got tinted or cream. I may change my idea about getting Breda if the eggs are not white. I already have plenty of tinted and cream egg layers in my flock but had to re-home my snow white egg laying Leghorn last year & want another white egg layer. If it's chancy about what color Bredas lay, I may re-think my plans. I thought a gentle temperament lightweight fowl like Breda was a good bet for my gentle flock. Then I started reading about varying shades of Breda egg color. Any input welcome - Smiles :)

Gender-- you have to grow them out

I had guesses early, but I went to 16 weeks to really be sure since it was my first time hatching Breda.
The boys will get wattles before the girls. By 12-16 weeks, they will be red and growing down more.
Also compared next to each other the boys will be a lot taller, the girls are more petite.

I don't know the age on yours pictured, but they both look like girls to me.

dutchbunny83 - do your Bredas lay white/white or tinted/cream eggs? I'm finding various blogs & research w/ varying reports of egg color. Thanks 4 ur input - Smiles :)

Quote: Those two chicks are actually my first Bredas, so I don't know from experience, but from what I've read, and the hatching eggs I've purchased, the shades vary from white/white, to a light cream. At first glance the cream eggs seem white, but next to a pure white egg, like from from a Leghorn, you could see a slight difference.

Back
Top Bottom