Breed Suggestions?

I can also recommend the 'mixed mutts' as I've had success there, a friend gave me some eggs to 'test' his rooster is doing it's job and I got 6 out of maybe 7 that hatched and seem very healthy in their 2nd week. Also, my first ever hatched out chicks, a pair of girls, are very very sweet and quiet and calm and lay eggs very well. You can expect whatever you raise yourself to be calm and quiet and that they'll like you.

Btw, my polish recommendation, for people who were not following the thread is in addition to nugget's 6 existing chooks, so laying is not relevant. Looks are worth it alone.

Well, she did say she wanted some "good layers" so I assumed laying was relevant.

Well, she did say she wanted some "good layers" so I assumed laying was relevant.

True, well, in that case I say "Forget layers !!!!!, get polish instead !!!!!!!"
thumbsup.gif

ok, polish are not the most prolific layers, however I have read that they were originally bred for laying, and their eggs are astonishingly large for such a small chook. I would suggest that for economy, they can't eat too much, and you can always store eggs. Up to 6-12 months I've heard if you dip them in olive oil and put them on the shelf. Yuk. Use the fridge and rotate them. OK OK OK so it's a losing argument, BUT THEY"RE POLISH OK ? they are too cute. It's like having an incredibly pretty wife, who cares that she can't cook ?
ya.gif

it's all about the hair !!

the hair

everyone loves the hairdo

and they do lay eggs, and they do occasionally go broody. I have one that goes broody.

Any breed you choose will be fine, there are hundreds of chicken breed and you'll get almost that many suggestions.

Why I'm writing is to caution you of counting your chickens before they hatch. If you've hatchery stock birds now it is unlikely any of them will go broody this spring. Then again if you get an incubator to hatch your eggs half your flock will go broody. Though with hatchery birds that's not going to happen. The point is you need a local source that you can obtain eggs on a few days notice IF one of your birds goes broody. That's going to narrow your choices right there. If you hold out for the birds to be ready you'll likely not have chicks this year.

Okay thats a good point. I'm still looking around where I live but I know there must be an egg seller within a 2 gold drive, so Ill be ready to go when a chicken goes broody. Thanks

Thank you all for the help! So i guess mixed breeds would be better for me?

And has anyone had a golden comet before? Or a plymouth rock? And also I can't seem to figure this out: easter eggers are not ameraucanas? They are just mixed?

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help! So i guess mixed breeds would be better for me?

And has anyone had a golden comet before? Or a plymouth rock? And also I can't seem to figure this out: easter eggers are not ameraucanas? They are just mixed?

Thanks for the help!!

Golden Comets are one of many names for red sex links. I have 3 of those and 3 of the Barred Plymouth Rocks in my mixed flock. And Easter Eggers are not Ameracaunas (EE are mixes). All are very nice chickens.

Great pictures @GodofPecking !
Still can't stop looking at those pictures! They are amazing!

Thanks, they are not my pictures, they were on this board already. But I'll steal the best for my avatar Lol, hope the owner doesn't mind.

[...]can't seem to figure this out: easter eggers are not ameraucanas?
I was reading this yesterday http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/7-chickens-to-raise-for-colorful-eggs.aspx

it mentions both.

Back
Top Bottom