Breeding FAIL again! Trying for a strawberry blonde chicken.

ok here I go..

the cream gene(which is recessive and found only on a few breeds of chickens, I have to see a large bird with cream gene add it)

here a citron spangled hamburgs(ignore the black spots, just think of them as solid colored)

now to Lemon Buff
this is my lemon buff naked neck hen

"Lemon" cuckoo buff(which is just barring add it to buff)

columbian Buff(not solid buff, but mostly buff) can be had in lighter shades if you add blue and/or Dominant white to its background

now comes the Champagne blonde color(not to be confused with the champagne blond gene found on buff birds)

champagne blond is a mix of columbian buff with lavender, if you add self buff to lavender you create the isabela color wich is a very pale color, maybe you want to start with a dark buff bird and add lavender to have that peach color..

now tell me what is the color you want and I can help you with genetics

I visited a farm 2 years ago and saw the most beautiful pale gold chickens. They looked like a much lighter version of Buff Orpingtons. Kind of a strawberry blonde color. They were just stunning. The farmer said they were a cross between Buff Orpingtons and White Rocks. They found that cross to do very well for them, big and meaty and good layers.

So I went home and got a White Rock rooster to cover my BO girls and waited for spring. What I got was a bunch of weird barred rock over orps that were anything but gorgeous. So this year I tried it again with a BO rooster over WR hens. Fail again. I'm getting some solid white chickens, some BO looking chickens and some with some barring.

So, I don't know if the farmer was pulling my leg or what. Is there any pure breed of chicken that is a solid, soft pale orangey gold? Or what would you cross to get that color? Is this a common cross and I'm just doing something wrong?
You still around? Having any luck with getting your pale gold chickens?

ok here I go..

the cream gene(which is recessive and found only on a few breeds of chickens, I have to see a large bird with cream gene add it)

here a citron spangled hamburgs(ignore the black spots, just think of them as solid colored)

now to Lemon Buff
this is my lemon buff naked neck hen

"Lemon" cuckoo buff(which is just barring add it to buff)

columbian Buff(not solid buff, but mostly buff) can be had in lighter shades if you add blue and/or Dominant white to its background

now comes the Champagne blonde color(not to be confused with the champagne blond gene found on buff birds)

champagne blond is a mix of columbian buff with lavender, if you add self buff to lavender you create the isabela color wich is a very pale color, maybe you want to start with a dark buff bird and add lavender to have that peach color..

now tell me what is the color you want and I can help you with genetics

Back
Top Bottom