BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

What rooster and hen would be the best cross to make a high production sex link?

Well you can't beat the sex links you can buy, like ISA browns, but if you want to breed your own you'd have to be certain the parents came from high producing lines. A line of production RIR's would be my choice for the rooster, and for the hen, a production line of barred rocks. Good egg layers can easily be found in those breeds. The black and yellow chicks can be sexed by the size and shape of the yellow head spot. It's trickier to sex those chicks than crossing a coloured rooster to a silver hen, but if you could find a line of production Delawares or Light Sussex, then I'd use the RIR rooster over the silver hen. You'd get red pullet chicks and gold cockerel chicks from that cross.
It's really more dependent on the strain or line than the breed, but you still need the barred or silver gene in the hens to make the sex link cross.

I know we aren't supposed to talk politics but after yesterday's results.......I guess it would have been the same either way but, well, those of you who want to move North, you are more than welcome here !
hugs.gif

But bring your chickens, some breeds are tough to get this side of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBuckeye

I know we aren't supposed to talk politics but after yesterday's results.......I guess it would have been the same either way but, well, those of you who want to move North, you are more than welcome here !
hugs.gif

gig.gif

hugs.gif

Lol! I have a friend in Jamaica right now, she went down for a wedding... I wonder if she'll be back!

hugs.gif

LOL! I'll just come for a visit...and bring some (fertile) eggs for...uh...breakfast. Yeah...they're just for breakfast.
wink.png

I know we aren't supposed to talk politics but after yesterday's results.......I guess it would have been the same either way but, well, those of you who want to move North, you are more than welcome here ! :hugs

LOL! I'll just come for a visit...and bring some (fertile) eggs for...uh...breakfast. Yeah...they're just for breakfast. ;)

:yuckyuck

Back
Top Bottom