BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

I have yet to figure this system out...I need to sit down, play around with it and that will be that.

My Cuba dream got popped yesterday so back to Crete this coming winter, with plans to hit Sardinia and points north.

Another surprise...Dad always said I was like a fart in a hail storm and here is a good example. I backed out of my chicken dispersal and have my help from last year coming back, for as long as I need them. Kentucky winters are far milder than the West Virginia mountains and they consider coming here to be their vacation, with plenty of time to visit their relatives who live near Frankfort.

I have a bunch of new chicks, between 3 and 4 weeks old. No promises because I've failed so many times in the past but I might take a few pics of the 4 breeds that are all jammed together in one brooder...

Sorry your plans fell through. I am confused about Crete, is that where you are from?
Pics would be great......

I have yet to figure this system out...I need to sit down, play around with it and that will be that.

My Cuba dream got popped yesterday so back to Crete this coming winter, with plans to hit Sardinia and points north.

Another surprise...Dad always said I was like a fart in a hail storm and here is a good example. I backed out of my chicken dispersal and have my help from last year coming back, for as long as I need them. Kentucky winters are far milder than the West Virginia mountains and they consider coming here to be their vacation, with plenty of time to visit their relatives who live near Frankfort.

I have a bunch of new chicks, between 3 and 4 weeks old. No promises because I've failed so many times in the past but I might take a few pics of the 4 breeds that are all jammed together in one brooder...

Sorry about your Cuba plans, but I'm sure glad you're still keeping some birds. They are quite the addiction, aren't they?

Okay, this heat wave is insane. It's 117* in the shade at my house with way too much humidity. It's so hot here that they actually cancelled outgoing flights at the airport because the planes can't take off, AND both the aircraft and heavy trucks are sinking down into the melting tarmac. I'm pretty sure that my entire flock will be roasted and/or boiled by morning.

Okay, this heat wave is insane. It's 117* in the shade at my house with way too much humidity. It's so hot here that they actually cancelled outgoing flights at the airport because the planes can't take off, AND both the aircraft and heavy trucks are sinking down into the melting tarmac. I'm pretty sure that my entire flock will be roasted and/or boiled by morning.
Wondered how you were doing after seeing a newscast on your heat wave!

Oh my goodness. How are you keeping them cool? Only up to 102F here, nothing to complain about. Some of the California folks are in the 110s, though. :sick

I'm taking some days off work later the week to get the misters set up, as they work well for me. Generally, once it is consistently over 95F as the high every day, they are run during the day (I don't run them under 95F). But we've had some hotter days than that, gotta get them set up (I have like 6 more tractor coops this year, so had to buy more misters and need to drape more hoses around the yard.)

Insane. Keep us updated on how they do. Think you're going to have heavy fatalities?

Lots of water and shade, they need moiste cool ground in shade to get into... it is not 117 here but darn hot and been humid too, everything is hard to do cause the heat, just breathing is hard... so I get it. I am thinking misters, I need misters for the birds... I get them out roaming the yard so they can find cool spots, put lots of water out in shaded areas. But my birds want in the house, they know I got ac inside from last year, when it got so hot & humid I brought them in too cool down under fans.

I do have to say... I have quite a few new birds for whom this is their first summer. This last weekend we were at 101F - they did ok, though looked a bit unhappy. And today it was 96F, and they were all like "No biggie" whereas previously they seemed uncomfortable at 96F. This is my goal - keep them safe while they acclimate (while providing shade and cool water), but not going overboard. I know how hard it is on ME if I go from AC to 100F outside, and keep my house warm in the summer because of this.

I do run the misters over 95F to give them the option, but mine don't seem truly uncomfortable until it approaches 100F. We go as high as 105-106, but nothing like the Arizona/California temps. I think all bets are off (chickens and humans) once it gets that hot... :sick I know that the tipping point for me personally is when the outside temp is hotter than my body temperature. I still go out and work, but it's much harder. I keep this in mind for my birds...

Back
Top Bottom