BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Muscovy are tree ducks, that is their classification as opposed to a water duck...that does not mean they dont like water, they love it....it is distinction between domestic flight birds and flightless like rouen and pekin.

Muscovy will in fact migrate if they think their home is unfit. They are documented muscovy that migrate from mexico to florida as well as many cases of people with 100s of muscovy who go to feed their one morning and say 150 are gone...the next spring their back.

Yes the term barbary duck refers to the carcass but only the carcass of a muscovy which is why I mentioned it.

No the large ones still love to fly and do it well. The 20+ lb drake will fly from the ground to the top of a 50ft tree effortlessly. French white muscovy are the largest muscovy, they were specifically breed for meat production in captivity and eatten back into victorian times.

We have tried clipping wings or a wing, they still want to fly and will test their wings many times daily to see if they can get off the ground. As soon as they can, they are flying again...so you would have to clip over and over.

I agree with what you have said, but the initial response almost implied that water was of no relevance to them. For the uninitiated, it would be misleading. That is what I was trying to make clear. It is not just that they love water, their natural history revolves around it. I will concede concerning "classification" etc.

Many animals move when necessary, but Muscovies are not a migratory waterfowl. They do not fly North for the summer, or south for the winter in the sense that our native waterfowl do. I do not doubt that they move from one place to another on occasion, and for different reasons. A migratory bird is one that is instinctively compelled to do so as part of a regular seasonal rhythm.

The inclination to fly and expand their range would keep me from working with them. I do not like things to go where I do not want them to. For example, the gardens. And that is where my interest in the larger geese resides. The ability to contain them and limit their range. I dismissed these as an option long ago for this reason.
Many other characteristics appealed to me, or the idea of them. There has been much that has appealed to me about waterfowl in general. If I was to go with a meat duck, it might be Pekins, for the ease of limiting their movement. Otherwise geese appeal to me.

I appreciate the thoughtful exchange. That is refreshing in a sense.

@hellbender She did! But the answer to that question arouses another one. If Muscovy ducks get so large so fast why aren't they used more often than Pekins? Pekins are the ducks that get used at restaurants and such. If that is true about muscovys That they get that big than I just don't understand why they wouldn't be commercially produced on large farms for meat

@hellbender She did! But the answer to that question arouses another one. If Muscovy ducks get so large so fast why aren't they used more often than Pekins? Pekins are the ducks that get used at restaurants and such. If that is true about muscovys That they get that big than I just don't understand why they wouldn't be commercially produced on large farms for meat

Actually, Moscovies are used more for food than any other breed of duck, if my research is proved out.

EDIT...As it turns out, the place in PA. will NOT ship ducklings to my zip code. Pa is adjacent to West Virginia but I guess our worthless USPS service doesn't qualify for their exacting rules for shipment. So...I'm back to square one and everything is on hold 'til I get a better handle on things.

I don't even want to buy ducklings....I'd rather buy half grown stock....a drake and two or three gals. I will at least send Jason to pick up the water tanks on Friday...

Last edited:
The cornish x are not deficient as far as we can tell they leave feed in their feeder tray, the 16% protein we are feeding is a flock raiser. We have layer mash for hens, chick starter for chicks, fryer ration and mash for ducks, wild game feed for pheasants, and everyone gets scratch grains and shell corn as well as free choice oyster. Is there something else we should be feeding?

It would seam that the 16% would be a layer ration, or a finisher. Maybe it is a maintenance feed of sorts. What is the brand name and what is it marketed as? Are you getting it from a small mill? You would be better off giving them chick starter which is formulated for growing chickens. It is not just the % CP, but the amino acid profile. Either a chick starter, a game bird starter,
or a feed formulated specifically for broilers.

16% is not ideal for growing chickens, and particularly if the % is dropped further by introducing scratch grains which averages 9-10%, and whole corn which averages 8%. It would not take much of either to drop it significantly and ruin the balance. Corn is high in few things other than energy. What your feeding them sounds like it would be good for putting some fat on them in the last week or two.

I apologize then. My information was incorrect

Apologize for what....
hugs.gif
?

But ain't moscovy females small? I think this is why pekins are used, closer in size?
I read something about 'mule ducks' once. Moscovy bred with another duck artificially to make them all the same size I think, and I think the males have no testes, already capons, 'mules'. Do you call castrated ducks capons?
Boy, now I'm going to have to look this all up.

I believe moscovy's have lean meat and pekins are definitely fatty, which I like. Duck fat is used often in 'fancy' cooking.

Back
Top Bottom