BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

You're really lucky. I would love to raise tilapia but the winter time is too cold for them and am not interested in supplemental heating or wintering them indoors etc. Plus the severe CA drought....

I thought they had pretty good heat tolerance? I've seen in a documentary or??? where they were raised in concrete troughs in blazing full sun and they were stocked extremely high.

I discovered an Asian grocery store out close to a friend I visit regularly.. they have live tilapia, catfish and another fish I'm blanking on right now. Liking the idea of a source of super fresh fish but then they generally look pretty stressed..... should I try them out? Any precautions or...?

The Tilapia definitely prefer warmer water. Mine are happy when the temp in the tank finally reaches 75 and rather sluggish when it's cooler. I do have aquarium heaters in their tank, but the water warms the most when I open the roll-up door and let the sun heat up the lava rock and water in the fourth growing bed. We're planning on eventually installing a dedicated solar panel to power the sump, air pump and heaters.

The main problem that most people have with Tilapia, or any "farmed" fish in my opinion, is over-crowding. My IBC tank is roughly 300 gallons and I only have 16 Tilapia and what remains of the feeder goldfish in there. I was told I could have up to 60 fish in that tank, but that seems like way too many. Each fish will reach 1-2 feet in length, and that's the size I keep in mind when stocking my tank. I don't think I'd want to go over 35, and they would have to be of varying sizes...though with none small enough to be cannibalized. I put large clay flower pots in the bottom so the fish have a place to hide if they want and they take turns using them. They are definitely NOT stressed and already come to the surface when they see my face, knowing it's feeding time. My biggest recommendation is to avoid over-populating. Since they only take 6-9 months to mature, you could raise them during the warmer months and harvest them before it gets too cold, minimizing the need for supplemental heating. Once my tank maintains a minimum temp of 75 I'll be shutting my heaters off and removing them.

The one thing I don't like about the setup is the amount of water that evaporates and requires replacement, every 1-2 days. When it's really dry here I'll have to add as much as 8 gallons per day.
hmm.png

EDIT: I just realized you were asking about eating the fish at the Asian market. Sorry...one track and very tired mind.

My first recommendation is to ask about their feed. It's common practice in China to feed the Tilapia animal fecies instead of fish food and I know of some people in this country who do it too, making the fish downright unhealthy to consume. After that, just use your senses. Alive or dead, any fish that smells really fishy should be avoided, and any live fish with slime, cottony spots, etc. on its scales is sickly.

As far as them looking stressed....it could be overcrowding, or simply a reaction from so many humans walking by and staring at them.

Last edited:
@CanadianBuckeye I have had chickens in a big barn where we used to live, no frostbite, they are well vented. Last couple yrs here subzero for months, -25 windchill welsummer only got it on the tips of his comb, leghorn hens with their big floppy combs, none. Well vented coop, no drafts.
This yr giants are not getting it, their combs and wattles are not that big. The sussex are getting frostbite, big combs and wattles, and I see they drag their wattles on the snow/ice outside. I'm wondering if maybe the humidity of the air is higher this yr. I guess ventilation isn't enough if the moisture in the air is high. IDK?
I've never used vasaline on them, seems like it would make them colder, but I don't know, heard some say it helps.

WHAT??????????
NNNNooooooooooo...... I love tilapia!
Is this true for Basa too??????

Or Swai? No more cheap Chinese farmed fish for this house! Time to go icefishing!

I honestly don't know about Basa or Swai...and you can still find "clean" tilapia to eat. Just make sure it's not from China....if the retailer has bothered to put country of origin on the package, which is no longer required thanks to our government.
he.gif

I honestly don't know about Basa or Swai...and you can still find "clean" tilapia to eat. Just make sure it's not from China....if the retailer has bothered to put country of origin on the package, which is no longer required thanks to our government.
he.gif

All the fish are Chinese here- even the cod.
I can buy Alaskan salmon though in tins, and I stock up if there's a sale.

My birds always show more signs of coldness in their tips when the snow is melting off, more so than when it gets teens below zero. That always tells me to open up more ventilation in the coop and when I do, it takes care of the problem so no actual frost bite symptoms appear. Especially if that additional ventilation is at the floor level beneath the roosts...seems like that fresh air intake right beneath the roosts does the trick of moving all that humidity out of the coop better.

Back
Top Bottom