BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

I agree Turkeys have much more personality than chickens- I just could not get over how stupid the poults were! And this with Eastern Wild turkeys! Any ways the hens went setting in the woods and never came back.... However we have two Awesome tom's!

Quote: I have a few turkeys too-- well, more than a few. lol. I've had BBW and now the heritage: bourbon reds, narrigansetts, auburns and sweetgrass. Love having a turkey dinner anytime I want, and not wait for THanksgiving. MEat wise I like duck and turkey better than chicken-- it is richer in flavor. My lines are gentle and no problems with attack as I hear from some people. I have kids to think of, my boys can just about carry a full grown tom. I have about 20 grown turkeys here.

The wild bronze frequently stop by-- a hen most recently walks thru the yard and flew into the front yard, and out again. A couple males come to harass my males in a pen out in the woods. We abutting hunting land, so the wild turkeys come with the teriitory literally. lol

. Curious, slower moving, not stupid as they find good roosts and can avoid the coyote , usually. TUrkeys are just different than chickens

I agree Turkeys have much more personality than chickens- I just could not get over how stupid the poults were! And this with Eastern Wild turkeys! Any ways the hens went setting in the woods and never came back.... However we have two Awesome tom's!
Yeah... this is true... some of them pick up eating and drinking faster than others.. but at any rate, I still have to "peck" the food and dip their beaks a few times. I also put shiney glass baubles in their water, they get it now. But I've had a lot of success with hardboiled egg yolks... I didn't even have to show them how to eat that!

I have a few turkeys too-- well, more than a few. lol. I've had BBW and now the heritage: bourbon reds, narrigansetts, auburns and sweetgrass. Love having a turkey dinner anytime I want, and not wait for THanksgiving. MEat wise I like duck and turkey better than chicken-- it is richer in flavor. My lines are gentle and no problems with attack as I hear from some people. I have kids to think of, my boys can just about carry a full grown tom. I have about 20 grown turkeys here.

The wild bronze frequently stop by-- a hen most recently walks thru the yard and flew into the front yard, and out again. A couple males come to harass my males in a pen out in the woods. We abutting hunting land, so the wild turkeys come with the teriitory literally. lol

. Curious, slower moving, not stupid as they find good roosts and can avoid the coyote , usually. TUrkeys are just different than chickens
Exactly! I want to be able to have turkey as much as I want--not just for thanksgiving!
highfive.gif
Yeah, I've never had an aggressive tom either, so I've been wondering if its hereditary or if it's a how-they-were-raised thing... only time will tell, I think! The only thing my toms have gotten angry about was each other, lol. The turkeys don't even mind my dog and cats when they come into the pen with us, but they're pretty laid back, too.

I've only seen a wild turkey here once, but she flew off when she saw us. A few fields over, though, its a different story, I see them almost every morning. :D

Do you have a lot of hybrids running around, or do you keep the lines pure? Also, I think Auburns are so pretty!

Hey...I'll be outa' here on a permanent basis pretty soon so I hope you stick around and keep these old rascals straight!
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif
and especially to this thread.

I'm busy for one day and everyone forgets their manners. Do you have Turkens or turkeys.

OOPs...I should have read...

RON
Thanks for the welcome. I see you type in bold print. Is that because you are the thread starter? I have not even seen turkens, except in pictures. We are getting rid of our last turkeys soon and I don't think I want to have anything around that reminds me of them. We have 8 lorps left and they are going too. We are going to start all over with a new breed when we get moved.

Quote:
I well try... I am busy setting up the MicroHatchery... You would not belive how hard it is to find a used commerical incubators! commerical incubators are just not replaced often and get used for 30 years.

I have breeding flock coming in next month ( you don't want to know how much that cost me...) and I have to build them a new facility (it's gonna be 8 X 32 so that's not tooo much work), I have to try and locate a used commerical incubator (my search has been fruitless thus far).

But I well pop in

I have a few turkeys too-- well, more than a few. lol. I've had BBW and now the heritage: bourbon reds, narrigansetts, auburns and sweetgrass. Love having a turkey dinner anytime I want, and not wait for THanksgiving. MEat wise I like duck and turkey better than chicken-- it is richer in flavor. My lines are gentle and no problems with attack as I hear from some people. I have kids to think of, my boys can just about carry a full grown tom. I have about 20 grown turkeys here.

The quote thingy is not cooperating today.....bah.
@Haida I love your enthusiasm! and it sounds like turkey's are a good fit for you~ I like to eat turkey as well but I'm not so sure about growing them as of yet....I will stick to my chicken plan for now. BUT, @Arielle I noticed you peddle your Sweetgrass eggs, lol, and scribbled you down in my big bad notebook of people/things/prices/sizes/measurements to remember :)
They seem to add another layer of management if kept along with chickens.
Hey...I'll be outa' here on a permanent basis pretty soon so I hope you stick around and keep these old rascals straight!
thumbsup.gif

Taking your leave, are you?

M

Back
Top Bottom